Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting Tips Anyone? 5.3 Aluminum 862 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting Tips Anyone? 5.3 Aluminum 862 Heads

Alright guys, I've been trying to research some information on helpful hints and tips for porting my heads, and I'm wanting to know your guy's opinion on how i should do this. I got a set of 862's I'm planning on putting on my 6.0L and while the heads are off, i want to know how i can get the heads to flow at their peak! what i should use to port them and what to port and how big to go on what intake/exhaust..any suggestions?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If you do a search there are some very good threads here with a lot of pictures and detailed descriptions.

Recently did a set of 799 heads for my car with the help of a friend who went to SAM in Houston.

We used aluminum specific carbide cutters to remove the rocker arm boss, trim down the intake valve bosses (removed the swirl ramp completely), blended to the valve seats, and then I spent a solid 12-14 hours with an air grinder and sandpaper rolls removing all the casting flash, rough spots, and polishing the exhaust ports and chambers the best I could.

Don't go into them just hogging things and trying to make them "bigger" or you will just turn them into scrap.

I am a pretty avid "do it yourself" guy, but head porting is a LOT of work, steady hands, and knowledge of where and how much to remove. Also the ability to repeat your work very closely. Having watched how quick the carbides eat the aluminum and knowing how long it takes to clean up any bit chatter spots, I recommend you enlist the help of a professional to at least guide or check your work. Sending them to Advanced Induction would also be a great idea if you want as much power as possible, just comes with a price tag.

Here are some of mine, pics didn't turn out that great and they look/feel better in person but there are still some spots I couldn't work as well as I would like with the tools I had. Car seems to love them though.

Quick Reply: Porting Tips Anyone? 5.3 Aluminum 862 Heads