Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain and sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Timing chain and sprockets

Been awhile and been outta it for a bit. Timing chain of choice for mild builds still LS2 chain? Also, how often are the stock sprockets wearing out? Not many miles (maybe 30,000 or so on em) but just asking and checking. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my sprocket and crank gear had 119,000 on it when i swapped it out for an adjustable set, it didn't appear to be too worn and would have re used it but i bought an adjustable set for performance reasons. as far as what set to buy...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...iming-set.html

also when ever you change your timing chain it is a good idea to change sprocket and crank gear... you dont have to though but its good practice would hate to have a tooth break off at 6,200 RPMS.... i got a GSXR750 with 35,000 miles on it my Daily Driver since mile 0 ride it rain or shine and ive never changed the sprocket or gear even know the teeth are about as thin as a toothpick (not good practice but hey its my bike and i aint ever sellen it, should be a fun ride when it does break at an alleged 170mph)... don't know how that applies to our engines but, my 2 cents