Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 coolant in oil

Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lq4 coolant in oil

I just scored a complete lq4 6.0 for free from a buddy that came with strange circumstance....

My buddy had a van that needed a motor(rod knock). This one came from a wrecking yard with a cracked oil pan so it must have taken a hit. Once installed in a van it ran great, but ran hot and was getting coolant in the oil. There was no oil in the coolant. The wrecking yard sent another engine and I ended up with this one.

Head gaskets were my first thought, but I knew that these motors came with MLS head gaskets which are unlikely to leak in this fashion. I pulled the heads tonight and the gaskets looked fine. All the head bolts were nice and tight. My question is this... Are there any other places that can leak coolant in to the oil? We did check the oil cooler on the van an it was fine. This was further proven when the second used engine was installed in the van and everything was fine.

Ideas anyone? These motors are so cheap I hardly want to put gaskets in it... The plan is to turbo the 6.0 and drop it in my 84 regal.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Teching In

heads are 317's if anyone is wondering...
Old 11-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Anyone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lq4 coolant in oil