Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking need help!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Smoking need help!

Right now I've got the back end up of car up in the air with the rear end out of and every so often I'll go out and start it up. When I start it I only let it idle for about 15 minutes or so and give it a rev or to and then shut it off. Well today I started it up and walked straight inside took a quick shower and back out side and it was up to operating temp so i gave it a little rev to 2k and held it and I noticed it was smoking pretty bad. I held it a little higher and the smoke kept coming more and more. It smokes at idle. Is it possible its just because its sat and not been driven in 2 monthes. I try to start it once every couple weeks. this time I got this suprise. The car has heads and cam and I have been letting it run with the defroster on I noticed. Is it possible its just fuel or maybe valve seals from sitting.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what color is the smoke?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Its blue.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

that would be oil burning,,, could be 1)valve seals leaking, 2) stuck PCV valve 3) worn piston rings (oil/oil vapor could be pushing past the piston rings and into the chamber and then expelled out the exhaust).
questions... 1)how many miles on the bottom end of the motor? 2)did you replace your valve seals when you did you heads?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

The motor has 78k on the bottom end every other part is new. The heads are brand new PRC 215s that have less than 3k miles on them but I just went outside and started it and it didn't smoke a drop. I did however right before that pull the pcv valve out and it had black hard pieces of something on it and i whiped it off and put it back. That was odd. It was smoking awfully bad.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
The motor has 78k on the bottom end every other part is new. The heads are brand new PRC 215s that have less than 3k miles on them but I just went outside and started it and it didn't smoke a drop. I did however right before that pull the pcv valve out and it had black hard pieces of something on it and i whiped it off and put it back. That was odd. It was smoking awfully bad.
sounds like you found your culprit if you took the PCV valve out, clean it and it fixed your problem... a stuck PCV valve can cause an awful lot of smoke, you would be surprised (as you now know). at 79K you shouldn't be having any problems with your piston rings, so i would probably rule that out first. if the heads were just completely rebuilt including new seals and you are sure one of the seals has not come loose or poped off then you can rule that out... PCV would be all that is left
Old 11-05-2011, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

I did have a very very rich mail order tune for a while that couldn't have been good for it but that was some time ago. I just didn't understand how I went from smoke free to smoking like crazy all at once. I think it was sucking it from my catch can. It only had a little bit in the bottom of it. We know how to make direct oil injection now lol
Old 11-05-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
We know how to make direct oil injection now lol
now all we need to do is figure out how to make a high HP motor that requires no gas and no oil and we will be rich men.

Search this Thread