Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much to ask for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too much to ask for?

Well last spring I did a 5.3 (iron block) swap into my 99z, basic bolt ons, Professional products intake, TR220 cam, PP TB, ARP rod bolts....I've been considering rebuilding my LS1 but rather then putting money into another engine when I have a fresh one with hardly 5k miles on it sitting in my car...especially since the ls1 has 220k miles on it and I don't really wanna buy new rods and pistons if I'm not gonna make a stroker out of it.

Would it be worth it to put a decent set of heads and 150 shot? I'm also wanting to run a Trex v2 cam but I'm not sure if thats where I'd be pushing it at? If I rebuilt my ls1 then I'd use that cam or an MS4... I'm just looking for some insight here on what to do.

One of the junkyards in my area has a couple 6.0's for $450 each, long blocks with everything even accersories but they were mine trucks and I'm afraid maintenence wasn't a common thing in their lives and the coal dust took a toll on em.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the most important question really is what do you want to do with the car? It is a slippery slope when you start throwing real performance parts at engines that have quite a bit of life on them, especially when you dont know the maintenance history, If you want to take your chances, do a compression check first, that will tell you alot about the condition of an engine. You can do this with a junkyard engine, as long as the starter is on it, all it takes is a battery and two wires, manually hit the starter and it will work just fine. If you wanna spray it, your tune better be right on, or it wont be pretty. That price of 450 for a complete 6.0 is a good price, but who knows what the engine came out of, or who was on the other end of that gas pedal when it was in a vehicle. Personally,, I would not throw those performance parts on an engine with 200k miles, your asking for trouble, if you plan on building an engine wait till you have the money and build it right, or buy it piece by piece, but you dont want to take shortcuts, its a big investment, and one you dont want to make twice. Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Launching!

Well the 6.0s are still in the 2500s they came from so I can't imagine they were rodded but maintence is my concern, I work at a lube shop and see these mine trucks when they come out of the pits and its not pretty. And my 2nd paragraph was supposed to say is it worth it to throw good heads and a trex cam on my 5.3. The tune will be a dyno tune done in colorado at a speed shop I've talked to some guys who are running 402 and 408 strokers on 150-250 shots and they have nothing but good things to say about the shop
I just don't wanna sink this money in my 5.3 and be let down by the numbers it puts down...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Launching!

anyone else have some insight? possibly ran this cam or an equalivalent in a 5.3? The plans for the car is a weekend toy and to race it at the 1/4 strip in douglas,WY.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy the 6.0, put it on an engine stand, disassemble, rebuild, add your cam, heads, whatever, then swap......that 5.3 is only good for turbo......take ur time, do it right
Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Looks like I'll be going with the 6.0, might of sold my ls1 to a guy so I'll use the money from it to get the 6.0 and pretty much all the new gaskets and bearings needed, then tax return will be paying for the cam, heads and valve springs, and nitrous. hopefully getting it dyno tuned by this spring.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revoroller
Looks like I'll be going with the 6.0, might of sold my ls1 to a guy so I'll use the money from it to get the 6.0 and pretty much all the new gaskets and bearings needed, then tax return will be paying for the cam, heads and valve springs, and nitrous. hopefully getting it dyno tuned by this spring.
I would sell your ls1 and your 5.3 and then build a 6.0+. Maybe even go with more cubes and build a 402/408.