Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What am i leaving out on this build?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What am i leaving out on this build?

so far aquired
xer281(tourqer v2)
stock 243 heads
pac 1518 springs
melling stock oil pump
ewis timing chain
3600 stall

car already has lid and l/t headers,o/r exhaust.

i know i need lifters but im afraid of the pushrod game.debating if i should just run the stockers and hardened 7.4's or..? car has 160k so i know they need replaced.

Also should i get a 5 angle valve job?This guy has massaged plenty of sbc stuff,but no ls stuff im aware of.Should i be concerned?
ai is best i know,but expensive,im doing a budget built on a shoestring budget,lol
Old 11-13-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

definately get new lifters, you cant buy stock ls1 lifters anymore from my understanding, most guys swap to the ls7 lifter which is the same size on the outside but the plunger cup is higher or lower cant remember, but new pushrods will be needed anyway. Correct way to do it is to install the cam and just use a measuring tool to be sure, but I am sure someone can get you real close on length.
You are forgetting that you need
1. headbolts (they are not reusable) and gaskets along with the other gaskets and seals
2.fluids
3. plan on needing a tune also.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RARON455
definately get new lifters, you cant buy stock ls1 lifters anymore from my understanding, most guys swap to the ls7 lifter which is the same size on the outside but the plunger cup is higher or lower cant remember, but new pushrods will be needed anyway. Correct way to do it is to install the cam and just use a measuring tool to be sure, but I am sure someone can get you real close on length.
You are forgetting that you need
1. headbolts (they are not reusable) and gaskets along with the other gaskets and seals
2.fluids
3. plan on needing a tune also.
^^^THIS^^^^

Also you should get a new Flexplate. TCI is the strongest and most expensive. As long as it's SFI approved you'll be good.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

i should have added i already have gm head gaskets and head bolts,but thanbks though.Also i realize i should change the oil,the cam is used already-so should i run the old oil for a few miles to get everything broke in ,then change it?
Is a flexplate really needed for my build?Would rather put money torwards other goodies.

so new ls7 lifters(where is the best place to buy ws6 store?)
timing cover gasket(the rest are reuseable no?)
tune by frost?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Texas-Speed has a Basic cam swap kit $58 or so, eliminates the guess work. You shouldn't reuse any of the Gaskets, new ones aren't that much.
Also the Flexplate is Highly recommended not only for your safety but the safety of your car. Hughes and PRW have some budget friendly SFI approved Flexplates. You stated that your car has 160K miles, thats a lot of stress on it. Also stock flexplates can't take the added pressure of the stall and can break. The only place for a Broken piece of metal that was spinning at high RPM to go is through your tranny and possibly into the cabin. keep in mind your legs sit next to your tranny. Not trying to be an ***, but jus letting ya know what made me spend money on a safety and reliability item.

Search in the Automatic Trans section of this forum for more info and carnage (car) pics.

http://www.converter.cc/Flex_Plates_Coolers_s/44.htm

Above is a link to a very nice yet affordable one from YANK
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would deffinately do lifters, push rods and gaskets. No one has mentioned intake gaskets yet.

The other thing to do possibly would be a crank underdrive pulley.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i agree with these guys,ls7 lifters,and for sure pushrods.