Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston rings gone bad, shop to blame, or cars age??

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well back firing runnin rough could very well be foulee plugs from oil. I woooood at least check the valve giude seals and for christ sake FIND A NEW SHOP to go to. That guy don't know sheeeet.

Pssst i was just runnin yA above dood.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

O2Form...you are exactly the kind of member this forum does not need. You sound like a classless, clueless child who thinks he knows what he's talking about but is full of ****. I don't think rings is his problem but it doesn't take as much fuel as you think to wash out some rings. Also cats are not a mechanical part so claiming they would die just like that is silly. Backfiring could be from a rather long list of things but if it wasn't doing it before the shop got ahold of it then it was CLEARLY something that changed in that time frame. If they built that and claimed 347 hp was reasonable for the parts they put on and let it leave their shop it was already messed up.

To the OP, this is a tough situation. On one hand this shop owes you some work at the very least but on the other do you really want them touching your car again. If the engine is at fault they should be willing to tear it down and show you what is wrong and explain how it wasn't their fault.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't really looked under the hood since i stopped driving it because i've been too busy with work, i just saw a plug arcing onto my headers, turned off the car and grabbed the plug and the dang thing came off. I'm gonna go buy a set of plugs and wires and the plug socket and replace them on tuesday when i have time. I'm goin into work now until midnight. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:13 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by adams2001ws6
It smokes for a few seconds upon initial start up. I haven't been driving it for 4 days due to the backfiring and it just running so rough. I just now went out and revved it and it blows alot of smoke. It looks gray/blueish which is another possible indication of piston rings being shot.
I would try another shop for a leakdown test and post the results.

If I had to guess based off what you've said so far, I'd think the cam was installed a tooth or two off, which bent a valve and possibly cracked a guide.

Either that or they didn't program the ECM for the larger injectors.

I dunno, just taking some shots in the dark.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:16 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by adams2001ws6
I haven't really looked under the hood since i stopped driving it because i've been too busy with work, i just saw a plug arcing onto my headers, turned off the car and grabbed the plug and the dang thing came off. I'm gonna go buy a set of plugs and wires and the plug socket and replace them on tuesday when i have time. I'm goin into work now until midnight. Thanks for the replies.
LOL, now that would be funny if that fixed it.

Last edited by KCS; 11-29-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss454327
O2Form...you are exactly the kind of member this forum does not need. You sound like a classless, clueless child who thinks he knows what he's talking about but is full of ****. I don't think rings is his problem but it doesn't take as much fuel as you think to wash out some rings. Also cats are not a mechanical part so claiming they would die just like that is silly. Backfiring could be from a rather long list of things but if it wasn't doing it before the shop got ahold of it then it was CLEARLY something that changed in that time frame. If they built that and claimed 347 hp was reasonable for the parts they put on and let it leave their shop it was already messed up.

To the OP, this is a tough situation. On one hand this shop owes you some work at the very least but on the other do you really want them touching your car again. If the engine is at fault they should be willing to tear it down and show you what is wrong and explain how it wasn't their fault.
I like you too sweetheart.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Adding 30 plus degrees (@ .050") of cam timing will drop the cranking comp-
ression from 200ish to the #s you have. I'm betting a horrendous tune has
now knocked the sparkplugs out of it hence the backfire.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

2 things..
First, OP, I would change the plugs and wires. If that doesn't fix it, definitely take it to a reputable shop.
Second, Mod, can we vote members off of the site? That would be great!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by O2Form
ok nevermind then....HAHAHA you sure the valve guide seals are not wasted? cause they can cause LOTS of smoke dood.
You are a ******* moron, go back to whatever shade tree you fell out of.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Really ...tsk tsk
Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If smoking at first start up is usually an indication of valve seals, with time the seals let oil into the cylinder while sitting for a long time. If it smokes only at first start then I would say it's the seals. Smoking while running would mostlikly be the rings. A leak down test won't catch a leaky valve seal. There is some allowable leaks from the rings, isn't much though. I forgot the allowable air leak from the rings.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Who tuned it?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Banned

i have a very similar cam to yours (but with more lift) and my dry compression test numbers are in the 160's and wet test is around 180's im at 100k miles and mine smokes a little on acceleration when its cold. my number 1 spark plug was covered in oil and the number 2 was a rust color, i still have not fixed mine yet but from what i have been told its a valve stem seal issue.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

did you cehck your spark plugs?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mannyman84
If smoking at first start up is usually an indication of valve seals, with time the seals let oil into the cylinder while sitting for a long time. If it smokes only at first start then I would say it's the seals. Smoking while running would mostlikly be the rings. A leak down test won't catch a leaky valve seal. There is some allowable leaks from the rings, isn't much though. I forgot the allowable air leak from the rings.
Thats not true.........worn seals let oil pass by ALL THE TIME. Running the vacuum in the intake ports is gonna suck oil past them seals MUCH faster than if it were not running. What planet are you on?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I just did a top end build at 280,000 and my car runs fine,thanx Tick. If your rings were shot you would have some Blow By. Do you have any smoke coming out of the motor (valve covers,dip stick)? Old school check.......if your compression is low put a couple tablespoons of oil in the cylinder and check again...if the compression comes up it's your rings, if not it's your seals.

on another note...the man asked a question, so why are you guy's wasting time here arguing with each other???????
Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Teching In

ls1121- when the compression check was done, oil on top of cylinder did bring up compression so it sounds like piston rings. Today After driving the car around it didn't smoke out of the exhaust again, uponstart up or high rpm. There has been a little bit of smoke out of the dipstick for about two or three months now. I didn't know what that indicated so i just kinda rolled with it.
ae-13291- thanks for the info.

I changed all the plugs and wires. They didn't look too bad, after changing them out i drove to walmart and picked up some engine restore to see if it'd respond and pick up compression. It seems to have worked as a temporary fix. I have a buddy with a 06 gto 6.0l with cam and bolt ons who claims 430rwhp. I randomly ran into him on my running around after putting the engine restorer in. He was checkin my taillights for burnouts. lol. I'm obviously gonna have to fix the car but its a temp fix. I'm sending it home with my dad and we're gonna tear it down and rebuild it from bearings to heads. I'm also getting a copy of the tune from the shop and sending it to comp to see if they say its too rich and that washed out the rings or if it really was old age.
Thanks for the info and suggestions guys. Sorry for the long winded post. lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Banned

engine restore? you kidding? that stuff is all bull and will ruin the motor in the long run
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I figured the same, shop owner suggested it so i tried it. It seems to work considering it performed how it did. I'm tearing down the motor in a few weeks anyway. I was just looking for a temporary fix.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Teching In

valve seals do not explain the numbers on the dyno, the rough running, and the backfiring, or even the grayish smoke. If the seals were bad and letting oil by then it would burn WHITE smoke. I know this from experience. When i did my cam swap and top end build the double spring valve springs were too narrow for the valve seals that were on it and were just bringing them up and down with the spring, letting oil pass. It burned white smoke and it smoked all the time not just at start up. My car also was tuned and ran perfectly fine before i changed them out. The seals are a stupid suggestion IMO. So whos the idiot now O2Form. "Dipshit"

Quick Reply: Piston rings gone bad, shop to blame, or cars age??