Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston rings gone bad, shop to blame, or cars age??

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you knew anything you wooodn't **** your pants.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i think i lost brain cells reading some of these posts.

but to the OP, if you had smoke coming out the dipstick for a few months, was this before the cam swap? if so id say that the rings were on there way out. for a cam swap and headers that seems like a low number, but there are other factors in play. and any good shop will not recommend engine restore...its a joke. so id run like hell from that place. i think you should call the BBB on them.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you got it figured out, and as for the engine restorer, some people say it sucks, I had great luck with it, I have an engine with well over 300k miles on it and since 150k it has been getting engine restorer with every oil change and still has good compression, may just be a really good engine but, it's still running. Good luck on your rebuild.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Banned

Engine restorer is actually a very good product. I've used it in many engines and had good results. I tried it in a very tired chevy 350sb with very worn cylinders(some idiot thought they were saving money using KMART cheapo brand air filters). When i took the heads off the cylinders were so badly worn @60k miles it was just stupid! While it didn't make it run like new but it did help up the compression and get some power back.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

holy crap, theres so many misconceptions in this post. oil does not burn white, alot of the time unless the valve stem seals are pouring the engine will only smoke at start up, the vacuum theory about stem seals is BS, and the numbers are most deffinately off for a cam and bolt ons.

It would be hard to say from the compression test that the tune washed the rings. If that were the case, it would have washed all the cylinders and with 3 of the cylinders being in the 160-175 and the motor having around 100k on it those 3 cylinders arent half bad. Without actually seeing how the vehicle is acting, its hard to say. Multiple things could cause this and actually you may have multiple issues and not just one. Best thing to do is what you have decided. Take the engine apart and check things out. Id deffinately check to make sure the cam was in time when you pull the engine apart. Goodluck.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prokilllsx
2 things..
First, OP, I would change the plugs and wires. If that doesn't fix it, definitely take it to a reputable shop.
Second, Mod, can we vote members off of the site? That would be great!
X2. Make sure the the cam was installed correctly, if not please tell us the name of the shop that installed it to save other people form there stupidity. Then after checking the cam have it tuned by a well know LS tuner, and if your told that your tune was way off once again tell us the name of the shop that tuned it to save others from there stupidity. Not knowing the exact problem it would be unfair to name the shop now, but from the hp numbers that you posted I'd bet it's something they did. Also some people should learn to know where they're not wanted...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Monte LS....1
holy crap, theres so many misconceptions in this post. oil does not burn white, alot of the time unless the valve stem seals are pouring the engine will only smoke at start up, the vacuum theory about stem seals is BS, and the numbers are most deffinately off for a cam and bolt ons.

It would be hard to say from the compression test that the tune washed the rings. If that were the case, it would have washed all the cylinders and with 3 of the cylinders being in the 160-175 and the motor having around 100k on it those 3 cylinders arent half bad. Without actually seeing how the vehicle is acting, its hard to say. Multiple things could cause this and actually you may have multiple issues and not just one. Best thing to do is what you have decided. Take the engine apart and check things out. Id deffinately check to make sure the cam was in time when you pull the engine apart. Goodluck.
You don't know sheeet! Once the cats get hot they burn the oil up so fine you can't see it unless its A HUGE amount. So you;re trying to convince others that worn guides and seals won't pull oil past them as its running? Are you just dumb? think about it.

pssst alot of guys waste time and money on a catch can when all along their real trouble is worn valves seals and guides pulling all that oil into the intake. THINK DAMIT!.............Its so common its INSANE like me.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O2Form
You don't know sheeet! Once the cats get hot they burn the oil up so fine you can't see it unless its A HUGE amount. So you;re trying to convince others that worn guides and seals won't pull oil past them as its running? Are you just dumb? think about it.

pssst alot of guys waste time and money on a catch can when all along their real trouble is worn valves seals and guides pulling all that oil into the intake. THINK DAMIT!.............Its so common its INSANE like me.
You still here with your mouth dribbling
Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Rockstar

Say what? You don't know what you're talking about, customers like you make it tough on good customers. !st of all if the fuel tables are all wrong why didn't the cats die????????

Maybe you need a brain transplant....go see a doctor!
BS i'm not the shop owner.....what this guy is posting up is complete bs! He doesn't know sheeeet about anything but THINKS he knows. If that tune was rich enough to wash the cylinders down the cats wooooood have died within MINUTES!
Whos calling a dipshit DIPSHIT **** for brains.... you don't know sheeet eitrher so SHUT THE **** UP!
ok nevermind then....HAHAHA you sure the valve guide seals are not wasted? cause they can cause LOTS of smoke dood.
Say what? You don't know what you're talking about, customers like you make it tough on good customers. !st of all if the fuel tables are all wrong why didn't the cats die????????

Maybe you need a brain transplant....go see a doctor!
BS i'm not the shop owner.....what this guy is posting up is complete bs! He doesn't know sheeeet about anything but THINKS he knows. If that tune was rich enough to wash the cylinders down the cats wooooood have died within MINUTES!
Whos calling a dipshit DIPSHIT **** for brains.... you don't know sheeet eitrher so SHUT THE **** UP!
Well back firing runnin rough could very well be foulee plugs from oil. I woooood at least check the valve giude seals and for christ sake FIND A NEW SHOP to go to. That guy don't know sheeeet.
Pssst i was just runnin yA above dood.
I like you too sweetheart.
Really ...tsk tsk
Thats not true.........worn seals let oil pass by ALL THE TIME. Running the vacuum in the intake ports is gonna suck oil past them seals MUCH faster than if it were not running. What planet are you on?
If you knew anything you wooodn't **** your pants.
Engine restorer is actually a very good product. I've used it in many engines and had good results. I tried it in a very tired chevy 350sb with very worn cylinders(some idiot thought they were saving money using KMART cheapo brand air filters). When i took the heads off the cylinders were so badly worn @60k miles it was just stupid! While it didn't make it run like new but it did help up the compression and get some power back.

Don't be so jealous...maybe someday you bee smart like me......naa i doubt it.
Ban this Fool.

Last edited by Johnny-LT1-runner; 12-03-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added sayings of The Fool.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
Ban this Fool.
Don't be so jealous...maybe someday you bee smart like me......naa i doubt it.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Smart like you? i think i've needed a translator on every one of your posts. do you not know English? Plus, everything you have said has been complete and total bs. do you tell everyone that points out facts that they don't know sheet? is that your only defense? back your statements up with some sort of fact and prove we don't know sheet. otherwise, keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think this thread stopped helping the OP 2 or 3 days ago and I should know better than to do this but...
There are 2 things I feel need to be pointed out.
1. The word wood only has 2 O's in it, and is used in reference to what a tree is made of. The word that 02Form has been trying to type is spelled WOULD.
2. Sheets are something you put on a bed, and there are only 2 E's in it. The word 02Form has been trying to spell uses a single letter i, and is used in reference to fecal matter. If you are unsure what fecal matter is here is a picture to help you out.
I hope this can be of help to any one than only has half of a first grade education.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

are you seriously this retarded. BTW cars isnt just a hobby for me. Im ASE certified plus certified at two dealerships. If you go by your theory the oil that is suppossedly getting sucked into the engine would show on the spark plugs and foul those out plus if it did make it to a hot cat, it would ruin it and therefore come on out the cat and/or clog it up and wouldnt run. so do yourself a favor, put the keyboard away, go to a book store and read up on how engines actually work or even try
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

yer ****......you and ase is the biggest ****** joke there ever was...go fix tonka toys and let the real stuff to pros like me ya hack.

everytime someone brings me a car that was at a ASE shop I always charge more!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fry_
X2. Make sure the the cam was installed correctly, if not please tell us the name of the shop that installed it to save other people form there stupidity. Then after checking the cam have it tuned by a well know LS tuner, and if your told that your tune was way off once again tell us the name of the shop that tuned it to save others from there stupidity. Not knowing the exact problem it would be unfair to name the shop now, but from the hp numbers that you posted I'd bet it's something they did. Also some people should learn to know where they're not wanted...
I'll be interested to hear the results from the engine tear down.

yer ****......you and ase is the biggest ****** joke there ever was...go fix tonka toys and let the real stuff to pros like me ya hack.

So, what shop do you work at, “dood“?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I work at a dealer, where we dont jew people even more after guys like you can't fix the vehicle. You find me one credible piece of evidence that your theories are correct and ill agree. Beings that you will never find that we'll just agree to disagree and I'll hope no one in here falls for your BS.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, thats what I've been waiting on. Read whats written under 02forms user name. I've read though one other thread that he's commented in and he would just start arguments that he couldn't win, and when facts where presented against him he'd just swear and claim there wrong any way. I think I speak for all LS1tech members when I say we'll miss your witty comments, and delightful attitude, and most of all expert incite you were able to provide us as a service manager of an unknown shop (I'm guessing Jiffy lube or Wal-Mart TLE). I hope being banned doesn't make you so mad at the LS1 community that you trade your wife's 02 Formula in for a Mustang, that wouldn't be fair to her (it's bad enough that she has to put up with you).

and to the OP let us know when you figure out what's wrong with your car.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss454327
If the engine is at fault they should be willing to tear it down and show you what is wrong and explain how it wasn't their fault.
Unless he drops it off to have them rebuild it, no. No one is going to work for free to show him that the problem wasnt their fault.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

pulling oil INTO the intake huh? thats a good one...last i checked, engines pull air from the intake into the cylinder, not the other way around. and actually, if you want to get technical, the engine is not "sucking" air in, the atmosphere is pushing air into the lower pressure of the cylinder that is increasing in volume from the piston moving down.

How in the hell oil would go from the valve spring area thru the seal, between the guide and guide boss, around the valve and back UP the intake runner and end up in the intake manifold, all while fighting gravity and the constant incoming air regardless of valve position is beyond me...

maybe one of these days ill be "smart" like you....
Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bww3588

How in the hell oil would go from the valve spring area thru the seal, between the guide and guide boss, around the valve and back UP the intake runner and end up in the intake manifold, all while fighting gravity and the constant incoming air regardless of valve position is beyond me...

maybe one of these days ill be "smart" like you....
Inverse wave pulses? Lol sorry, had to poke

Any news on the engine issues, or if plugs and wires helped?

Quick Reply: Piston rings gone bad, shop to blame, or cars age??