Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild or New Short/Long block

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild or New Short/Long block

So my car has been having oil pressure problems. I recently changed the oil pump o ring and it seems somewhat better, but still did not go above 40 psi under full throttle. Also, my oil pan gaskets is leaking now quite a bit,some of the rubber gasket came off so it must be leaking there.

So I am figuring while I have the motor out, I mine as well check the bearings, most likely they are bad because of my oil pressure symptoms.

Here are my choices, really not looking to spend a whole lot of money but while I have it apart, I would like to do the heads.

Choice 1 - Around $3000 without heads, 4200 with heads, this includes new pistons and probably rods

- Rebuild the block I have, new bearings, possibly piston and rings
- stay with same cam
- redo the heads, valve guides, 799 casting. If this is too much, mine as well get after market

Choice 2 - $6700 plus freight
Buy a long block already put together, Texas speed 347 with head and cam package. $6700

Choice 3 $3500 plus freight
Buy a short block and have my heads redone and put the cam back in this shortblock.

I am leaning towards redoing the block i have as if I dont, then I have a block that I need to get rid of , which everyone knows is a pane. The cars oil pressure is normally until full throttle so most likely the motor wont need too much.

The other thing is , if I get heads, then I will need injectors and possibly a fuel pump.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on your budget,, If you plan on modding the car and wanting to keep it for a while, and get performance out of it,, then go ahead and buy all your performance parts now. If not then just a rebuild will work, If you have yours rebuilt, make sure you take it to someone who does LS engines, You dont want yours to be the one they learn on.
Having your heads redone, with a good valve job and such you are probably only looking at around 250-300, more if you want to stab a cam in it and have the springs for that cam installed and setup. Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I plan on keeping it for awhile. I guess if the heads are that cheap to be redone, I may consider keeping them. Honestly, the 405 rwhp has kept me happy for 2 years now. If I do get the head, i know I will need injectors and possibly a pump.

How much does a rebuild go for these days, My number was just a guess.