Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam install question

I'm installing a cam in a spare LS1 engine, that I have. The engine will probably not be going in the car anytime soon. (I hope) Should I use just Mobil 1 to lube the cam during install, or go with the assembly lube? My concern is, that after a period of time, the oil will not leave enough of a film to properly lube the cam, when it finally is started, at some point in the future.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good question. If the engine is out of the car, why not wait until you are closer to installing the engine to put the cam in? If the engine is out, it will only take a couple hours to put it in and get everything buttoned up...then you wont have to worry about the oil running off.

Otherwise, I guess I would use assembly lube, but you'll have to see if there is a specific kind to use so it doesn't gum anything up....

My $.02

-Mike
Old 03-14-2004, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Use a quality assembly lube and you should be fine leaving the engine setting. Also don't tighten the rockers if you're gonna leave the engine setting. The oil in the lifters will bleed out and the pushrods could possibly bottom out in the lifters and damage them.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I'm installing a cam in a spare LS1 engine, that I have. The engine will probably not be going in the car anytime soon. (I hope) Should I use just Mobil 1 to lube the cam during install, or go with the assembly lube? My concern is, that after a period of time, the oil will not leave enough of a film to properly lube the cam, when it finally is started, at some point in the future.
I use GM assembly lube for all my installs, its about 6 bucks per container of it and it works wonders! Better safe than sorry and I would rather have something a little thicker than oil on the cam for startup! Just a hint though... dont get the stuff on your hands! its a pain to wash off! But it will prove how well it sticks because even scrubbing with a pummice soap wouldnt get it off right away!