Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is standard bore on LQ4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is standard bore on LQ4?

Is it 4.000 or 4.005? Got mine at machine shop and they said mine is 4.002. They said should be fine for a re ring.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM spec on it is 4.000"....it is not real uncommon though to see some variance on that, as well as where the bore centerlines are. This is where having the best machines on the market come into play when rebuilding so that you can reset the bores and other specs to the true blueprint and intended locations. It will make a difference on durability!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Just wanting to make sure. I'd seen some of the after market pistons say 4.005" bore. I guess this is where you can just hone instead of bore if there is very little wear.

Just gotta find out if the piston is actual 4.005" or if the clearance is made in the piston, I know Ross does that, but not sure about Wiseco or Diamond.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wiseco and Diamond both build the clearance into the piston. So when you order a 4.005" bore piston, that should be your finish bore, setting your clearance up properly. We still recommend getting the pistons to your builder, and boring/honing to the piston's size, rather than going to a number.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club

Definitely, I have a friend that goofed up and they bored before piston arrived. It was Ross pistons and he ended up with .011" clearance, It SMOKES terribly lol.

Off topic, but I may just re ring and re bearing this engine for now, what cam would you recommend? I have LS3 heads milled .030" with a victor Jr intake and 950cfm carb. It's in a 3000# car with a 8" 4500 stall. I had planned on getting with you guys on a stroker assembly, but just found out the wife has to have surgery, so may have to stay with what I have for short block for now.

Quick Reply: what is standard bore on LQ4?