Sponsored by:

What cam should I get? experts chime in

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desertLS1
What's cam only mean to you? LoL
Typically it means a cam install w/ out a aftermarket head swap. What does this have to do with anything I asked?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I understand you want to steer away from a custom cam, but honestly, it really is the only way to go.

I got mine from Ed Curtis. Get yours from whomever you want. My custom cam was 450. His off the shelf grinds are 450.

Cost me nothing to fill out a detailed sheet explaining what I wanted and what my goals were.

Just a thought.
Your right, but $$$ is a factor. It's not much considering, but texas speed is dirt cheap with their cam packages right now so0o im looking to ****** it before it goes off sale. Can't pass it up.

I'm building my tranny along with my cam install, and my heads are gonna be a ways off.. I dont know diddly **** about the custom grind process, so pardon my ignorance. But I don't want a cam thats tailor made to work with my 806 heads cuz well.. it sucks lol

with over the counter, I have something to compare that people have used before with success with similar setups. Ntm ls1tech is awesome with knowledge and advice so i thought a open discussion would be healthy
Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Your right, but $$$ is a factor. It's not much considering, but texas speed is dirt cheap with their cam packages right now so0o im looking to ****** it before it goes off sale. Can't pass it up.

I'm building my tranny along with my cam install, and my heads are gonna be a ways off.. I dont know diddly **** about the custom grind process, so pardon my ignorance. But I don't want a cam thats tailor made to work with my 806 heads cuz well.. it sucks lol

with over the counter, I have something to compare that people have used before with success with similar setups. Ntm ls1tech is awesome with knowledge and advice so i thought a open discussion would be healthy

I get what you're saying, but you can always specify to the person/company custom grinding your cam that in the future, you will have these specific heads so they can custom grind it according to those heads. May not be ideal for the heads you currently have, but will still make serious power. On a side note, does TSP have a sale going on?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I get what you're saying, but you can always specify to the person/company custom grinding your cam that in the future, you will have these specific heads so they can custom grind it according to those heads. May not be ideal for the heads you currently have, but will still make serious power. On a side note, does TSP have a sale going on?
yeah i know, its $50 bucks off for a cam install kit. Cam, rods, springs for like $600 or $120 more u get titanium retainers and dual valve springs. To me its a radical deal.

For $50 I can get a timing chain
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Last I looked you could order a custom grind right off TSP website just like any other cam, if might apply to that same package. I would ask.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Last I looked you could order a custom grind right off TSP website just like any other cam, if might apply to that same package. I would ask.
i will, in the drop down box it doesnt give you the option for a custom grind. I think you would have to call it in and work it out maybe?

ahh where's arron or matt when you need them
Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

depending on how you feel, a good single spring will save you power over a heavier dual spring setup.

for the cam i would suggest something like a 228/232 on 114+2 or similar. The tuner will have a great deal to do with how the car drives also but with a great tuner and an auto it should drive great.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
Typically it means a cam install w/ out a aftermarket head swap. What does this have to do with anything I asked?

I figured you read the description in the Video.
Good luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by desertLS1
I figured you read the description in the Video.
Good luck.
Doh, didn't pay attention to that part lol ty tho

Quick Reply: What cam should I get? experts chime in