99 Firehawk M6 PP S2 5.3s 228/228 391 rwhp
99 T/A M6 PP S2 5.3s 224/224 389 rwhp
99 SS M6 PP S2 5.3s 232/232 396 rwhp
00 Z28 M6 PP S2 5.3s 228/228 394 rwhp
02 WS6 M6 PP S2 LS6 224/224 408 rwhp
99 T/A M6 PP S2 5.3s 228/230 404 rwhp
02 WS6 M6 PP S2 5.3s 231/237 405 rwhp
98 WS6 M6 PP S2 5.3s 218/222 403 rwhp
02 Z28 M6 PP S2 LS6 230/232 474 rwhp (off the shelf heads )

Patriot heads rule
That "99 Firehawk M6 PP S2 5.3s 228/228 391 rwhp" was likely my car when I posted the results. The A/F ration was 15 with a crappy mail order tune. I was also running an LS1 intake, leaking exhaust, and the old valve seals on a stock catback with no cutout. Considering the circumstances I was pretty happy with the results.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Why not Chris? Offaxis ran 11.4 at 119 on 245 Nittos, with less HP than he's making now. 3600 lbs, no front sway bar, 3.42s, Vig 4000.

Race cars don't do a damn thing for me. Very one dimensional. I like fast street cars. Besides, not all of us want to gut our cars and dump alot of money into tubular K-frames, a arms, coil overs and light weight (ie: useless on the street) racing brakes. I can build my 98 into a trailer queen and use my 02 as my street car, but I din't see the point right now. I was thinking about gutting my 98 (air bags, bumpers, door beams, etc), but I got into a pretty bad accident a week and a half ago in my daily driver. A lady who, and I quote, " was drinking Southern Comfort and doing cocaine all night ", was speeding in the rain, lost control of her car and plowed into my car, changed all that. Thank God for the air bag in my lil Buick.

Most of the fast 10 sec cars on these BBs are race cars proported to be street cars. Yeah, they get driven on the street now and again, but I don't consider a car w/o bumpers and missing seats a street car. Bring the weight minimum to 3600 lbs ( w/o balast ) and you'd see alot more cars turning out for the big LS1 racing events. Some of these street cars might even teach the race cars a thing or two. If this is not an option, then let's start a new class for the H/C guys out there. There's far more H/C street cars out there than gutted race cars.
I had a chance to look under linda's car at the track and noticed that here suspension was stock besides the relocation brackets and subframe connectors. Her interior also looked pretty normal besides the rollcage, She ran a 10.97 and still drives it on the street.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why not Chris? Offaxis ran 11.4 at 119 on 245 Nittos, with less HP than he's making now. 3600 lbs, no front sway bar, 3.42s, Vig 4000.

Race cars don't do a damn thing for me. Very one dimensional. I like fast street cars. Besides, not all of us want to gut our cars and dump alot of money into tubular K-frames, a arms, coil overs and light weight (ie: useless on the street) racing brakes. I can build my 98 into a trailer queen and use my 02 as my street car, but I din't see the point right now. I was thinking about gutting my 98 (air bags, bumpers, door beams, etc), but I got into a pretty bad accident a week and a half ago in my daily driver. A lady who, and I quote, " was drinking Southern Comfort and doing cocaine all night ", was speeding in the rain, lost control of her car and plowed into my car, changed all that. Thank God for the air bag in my lil Buick.

Most of the fast 10 sec cars on these BBs are race cars proported to be street cars. Yeah, they get driven on the street now and again, but I don't consider a car w/o bumpers and missing seats a street car. Bring the weight minimum to 3600 lbs ( w/o balast ) and you'd see alot more cars turning out for the big LS1 racing events. Some of these street cars might even teach the race cars a thing or two. If this is not an option, then let's start a new class for the H/C guys out there. There's far more H/C street cars out there than gutted race cars.
Everyones interpretation of a street car is different though...
I personally think a 4000+ stall converter is marginal on the street. See what I mean?

There is no streetability sacrificed with Kmembers, A-Arms, etc etc. It just comes down to what people want to do to maximize their combo.

I agree that a gutted 2900 pound shell doesnt really appeal as a street car but there are many guys with cars in the 3200-3300 raceweight range that are very comfortable and well equipped
Old 03-17-2004, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI,
Trevors car is not gutted.The only thing missing from the interior is the back portion of the back seat.His cage easily added that weight back.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

because it's arguing about peak numbers when area under the curve is what really counts.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Bring the weight minimum to 3600 lbs ( w/o balast ) and you'd see alot more cars turning out for the big LS1 racing events.
I would like to see a higher minimum since I don't want to have to go nuts getting weight off my car. I'd guess that Camarocain weighs quite a bit less than me, and I have to strip that much out of the car while using it as my daily driver. I did the simple stuff - spare, jack, sway bar, wiper fluid, etc - and still weighed 3535. I have to find 185 lbs while keeping it street worthy.
But I don't understand "w/o balast". That means that most of the cars at SBSO can't run in your class???
Old 03-17-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car in stock form, power locks/windows ADDED SFC's STB just over 1/4 tank of gas weighs in at less than 3600 lbs :eek3: I'm sure I'll be closer to that when the 12bolt goes in though...
Old 03-17-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
Everyones interpretation of a street car is different though...

There is no streetability sacrificed with Kmembers, A-Arms, etc etc.
I agree except on the A-arms part...I know a lot of people with alignment issues and their A arms.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like how threads with patriot performance get 2500 views
Old 03-18-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A

because it's arguing about peak numbers when area under the curve is what really counts.

i agree 100%
Old 03-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Banned

Lynda's car weighs in the neighborhood of 3350 lbs, which was the weight requirement for her class. My car has never weighed less than 3450 lbs, stock 16" wheels and tires, jack/spare, sway bar, 1/4 tank, etc. I weigh 200 lbs. So I, and many others would have to remove about 300 lbs from the car. Please tell me how to do that and still keep the bumpers, air bags, A/C, power steering, carpet, stereo in my car. Please do not refer to the weight reduction list, I've read it several times. Some of those mods are a bit extreme. Racing wheels, skinnies, slicks w/o tubes, no sway bar, no jack/spare, I'll even say no back seat = 150 lbs or so.

W/O ballast, ie: a gutted car with weight added to the rearward portion of the car to bring it within weight specs and at the same time aiding traction.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Arctic98Z
My car in stock form, power locks/windows ADDED SFC's STB just over 1/4 tank of gas weighs in at less than 3600 lbs :eek3: I'm sure I'll be closer to that when the 12bolt goes in though...
I'm talking about race weight. The car is 3375 and I'm 160 dressed, or 3535 race weight. But I bought a stripper. It doesn't even have cruise, let alone power window/locks, and it has a 12 bolt, SFCs, LCAs, PHB, etc.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

Lynda's car weighs in the neighborhood of 3350 lbs, which was the weight requirement for her class. My car has never weighed less than 3450 lbs, stock 16" wheels and tires, jack/spare, sway bar, 1/4 tank, etc. I weigh 200 lbs. So I, and many others would have to remove about 300 lbs from the car. Please tell me how to do that and still keep the bumpers, air bags, A/C, power steering, carpet, stereo in my car. Please do not refer to the weight reduction list, I've read it several times. Some of those mods are a bit extreme. Racing wheels, skinnies, slicks w/o tubes, no sway bar, no jack/spare, I'll even say no back seat = 150 lbs or so.
I'm not disagreeing. I feel the same way. My car really is a street car and I don't want to pull the A/C, PS, etc. I don't mind losing the air bags, but ...
W/O ballast, ie: a gutted car with weight added to the rearward portion of the car to bring it within weight specs and at the same time aiding traction.
OK, so W/O means "with"? I have always understood it to mean "without", hence my confusion.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he's saying ballast is a term for a car thats gutted for weight reduction, but then weight is ADDED to the read of the car, so on the scale they meet the minimum requirements. W/O is an abbreviation for With Out...therefore, I think hes asking NOT to allow cars that care gutted, yet add extra weight only to the rear of the car to meet the minimum specs for the reason he mentioned, gives them a traction advantage with all the added weight in the rear
Old 03-18-2004, 07:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Arctic98Z
I think he's saying ballast is a term for a car thats gutted for weight reduction, but then weight is ADDED to the read of the car, so on the scale they meet the minimum requirements. W/O is an abbreviation for With Out...therefore, I think hes asking NOT to allow cars that care gutted, yet add extra weight only to the rear of the car to meet the minimum specs for the reason he mentioned, gives them a traction advantage with all the added weight in the rear
Right. That is what I said. But I asked if he wanted to disallow those cars and got that answer. Maybe he didn't understand the question???

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a 3500# min and letting Lynda add 150#. I doubt that adding 150# in the rear will be an advantage as we are not really tire limited. If we had to run street tires I can see where it would help. But if it really is an issue, punish the tin cans by making them put the ballast in front but let them run
Old 03-18-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
There was alot of fast cars running low 11 0's and teens.What type of heads do you think they were running?There was cars from Thunder and other shops.One of the Thunder cars had a transbreak.The car Trevor raced in the finals was fast.He has a proshifted,solid roller motor.

I'm sure that at any point and time,if anyone wants to match race,tell them call out Trevor,Jason or Lynda.Along as it is the same weight,H/C car on the same track,with the same rules.

Terry I ran within a .10 of Trevor on my first pass out with 1.64 60' off of the foot brake. That car has 60ed in the 1.3xs before care to take a stab at what my ET would have been had I not had problems. 10.60s-10.70s would had been no sweat. Yes I had problems with the new tranny-shifter combo, it was my fault not the cars.

Hell yeah I'd love a rematch, any where any time. I'll be at north vs. south.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

You might think ballast in the rear would not help our cars, oh but it does. So I propose this:

A race class for the tuner/shop cars. Paul @ Thunder, Trevor @ TSP, and so on. They can decided what race weight to agree upon. If a non shop car wants to run in the tuner/shop bracket, and you think you can be competitive, that's fine too.

Then a class for everyone else. Most of us can't and shouldn't have to compete against the shop cars (shop pimp cars included). They get parts at wholesale price and have access to dyno/ls1 edit anytime. Make this class 3600 lbs, heads-up racing. I bet it would be quite competitive, maybe not quite as fun to watch w/o the big wheelies of the stripper cars, but fun nontheless.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

A race class for the tuner/shop cars. Paul @ Thunder, Trevor @ TSP, and so on. They can decided what race weight to agree upon. If a non shop car wants to run in the tuner/shop bracket, and you think you can be competitive, that's fine too.

Then a class for everyone else. Most of us can't and shouldn't have to compete against the shop cars (shop pimp cars included).

Either way it doesn't matter to me but our car consisted of an off the shelf cam and off the shelf heads with a 100% completely stock bottem end. Nothing real special here.

Paul
Old 03-18-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm.... Cartek vs LG vs Patriot/TSP vs Thunder

Does TSP have a big dog cam that can compete with the new thunder cam, cartek cam and LGs G5X3?
Old 03-18-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul,
I was there.I am not saying your car ins't fast.If you hadn't redlighted,you would have been a force.That car is setup more like a pro bracket car than a street H/C car,as far as suspension goes.The north vs. south will be a fun event.