Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best H/C/I combo for a road race-475rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by your car situation and budget, I'm just going to say buy a junker RX7. Put an L33 in it and have fun. Light weight. Brakes and turns fairly well as is, and only cost a little bit for the engine swap parts. It just doesn't sound like either Camaro is the way to go for what you want and in your budget.

I have an FC RX7 sitting on the side of my house that I bought for $800. Turbo brakes, hood and Torsen limited slip. Gives you an idea what you can get for next to nothing. Suspension parts for that car are cheap and plentiful. Complete L33's are around $1300.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you already have the heads & cam

Do 383ci rotating assembly with ported 102mm intake manifold, it is recommended to change the cam to match your new more cubes.

You will have better powerband & nice flat tq curve, that's what you really want on DD & road race
Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Judging by your car situation and budget, I'm just going to say buy a junker RX7. Put an L33 in it and have fun. Light weight. Brakes and turns fairly well as is, and only cost a little bit for the engine swap parts. It just doesn't sound like either Camaro is the way to go for what you want and in your budget.

I have an FC RX7 sitting on the side of my house that I bought for $800. Turbo brakes, hood and Torsen limited slip. Gives you an idea what you can get for next to nothing. Suspension parts for that car are cheap and plentiful. Complete L33's are around $1300.
An LS3 would pretty much require a dry sump to live on the road course with the oiling problems they have.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
An LS3 would pretty much require a dry sump to live on the road course with the oiling problems they have.
Practically any LS motor I've read about has had these issues. I think the bat wing corvette pan has the best chance from what I've read. I am going dry sump none the less.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider some tfs 220 heads and a EPS cam with a fast intake.any CNC head (PRC,AFR TEA)would big plus for even more power.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

With 346 inches trying to make a high number like that its gonna suffer in the tq and driveability not to mention durability departments.

Why not make the car lighter, put a set of 17x11 on all 4 corners with some r compound tires to make it faster?

Being fast on a roadcourse is not really about HP, I figured that out when a Spec Miata blew my doors off at Barber.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
With 346 inches trying to make a high number like that its gonna suffer in the tq and driveability not to mention durability departments.

Why not make the car lighter, put a set of 17x11 on all 4 corners with some r compound tires to make it faster?

Being fast on a roadcourse is not really about HP, I figured that out when a Spec Miata blew my doors off at Barber.
EXACTLY.. now take that miata and put an LS3 in it! LOL. (pretty much my plan)
Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lots of good ideas. Some not that great. We are not buying either a miata or some junked out RX7 project. I already lap all the ones in my group, as well as the 436hp C6's. I will use what I have. We have and will continue to lighten it up to a point. 3400 lbs and putting the driver on a diet. Running NT01 r rubber already. Making a few more upgrades to brakes and suspension.

With all of that said, I don't really want to rev past 6800. My current engine budget is $5000. Enough for better heads, cam and a retune, but not a 383 stroker kit and machining which I would dearly love to do. If I thought I could get that done for a few thousand more I might even spring for it, but it seems to double my budget and then some.

And I have never had any 205 afr heads. I missed a chance to buy some on here by one day. If not I would do that and a more aggressive cam with a ported fast and I think we would have been pretty close.

Thanks for the input!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

EXACTLY.. now take that miata and put an LS3 in it! LOL. (pretty much my plan)
There was a silver with maroon top Miata at the track that day in a different run group, had a 5.3 with a cam and LS6 intake that made 400 to the wheels.

There was also a Gallardo in that group, the Miata showed the Gallardo the way around Barber for the whole 30 minute session. The two fastest guys in the advanced group.

To the OP

Have looked into buying a used LS3? With just a cam and bolt ons they can make the power you are looking for and should be able to stay inside the budget. Especially if you sell off the other engine.

Its hard to get the torque you need for a heavy trackday car out of 346 inches when going for all that power you want, it becomes high strung and high maintenance.

Also look at LS2 topend stuff, it bolts on as far as I know.

My car is heavy, almost 4000lbs when an instructor is in the car, it makes 375 to the wheels and is fairly quick in HPDE's.

The only cars I really have problems with are well driven e36/e46 M3's on r comps and GT3RS's.

I would look hard at my driving also, I had a good instructor ask to ride with me at Circuit Grand Bayou, changed the way I was taking 2 corners and dropped a second off my laptimes.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No doubt my driving has room for improvement. And as to your suggestion about selling the current LS1 for all the reasons mentioned are good. As well as the LS3 part of the equation.

It's bad for me having had the 67 with 700hp that had little competition down the straights and although set up for the road course (see tt Z06 @ firebird on you tube) it did not handle the corners as well as the current 02 does.

So...I'm going to sell the 69 camaro, pump up the braking and suspension abilities on the 02 and use a 416 stroked LS3 to get to 550rwhp. That should get me back to playing with the big boys in the advanced group. More retirement funds down the drain. I guess even an old guy has to have a little fun?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dbs1
So...I'm going to sell the 69 camaro, pump up the braking and suspension abilities on the 02 and use a 416 stroked LS3 to get to 550rwhp. That should get me back to playing with the big boys in the advanced group. More retirement funds down the drain. I guess even an old guy has to have a little fun?
Excellent plan. Although It is a shame you can't have both. I appreciate both endeavors.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it would be fun to just leave the 69 as is (very unfinished), tune the weak sauce 383, add a little n20 and head to the track and she what she'll do. Oh well. That's what happens when $600,000 goes south in 2 years.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Can't imagine that much power in my car, its already hard on my C6 brakes, I have moved up to Carbotech XP10, I will probably move to a 12 or a Performance friction set, that heavy turd devours pads.

Better put some clampers on that beotch, Some Moveit, Stoptech, Porsche BBK ish.

BTW have you ever run on a Nitto NT-05? If so how do they compare to a R comp tire?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

I am planning on running a similar setup. Stock bottom end, Ported 90/90, Ported AFR 205 heads and a mild cam. Don't mean to thread hijack but Just wondering if this combo might be a little too much for a road course especially for a first time racer such as myself. Just worried it might be a little to much speed/power and might make the car alot harder to stop and slow down for the corners. Could go with a milder setup but don't really want to lose all that power coming from the 408 I was running. From what I've read this combo should put down 450-475 to the wheels.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

215cc heads, ms3 cam and a fast intake and a good tune you got watcha lookin for.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
I am planning on running a similar setup. Stock bottom end, Ported 90/90, Ported AFR 205 heads and a mild cam. Don't mean to thread hijack but Just wondering if this combo might be a little too much for a road course especially for a first time racer such as myself. Just worried it might be a little to much speed/power and might make the car alot harder to stop and slow down for the corners. Could go with a milder setup but don't really want to lose all that power coming from the 408 I was running. From what I've read this combo should put down 450-475 to the wheels.
I would do some track days before I did that.

Mine is heavy, 4000 lbs with an instructor in the car and at Roebling Road it would run 137mph on the front stretch and it only has 375 to the wheels.

I dont see you using that power as a novice, it might get you in trouble.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You may just want to detune it for the track (torque management + pulling some timing), or maybe a throttle stop?
Make sure you get some good suspension (koni/strano), good brakes (blank rotors), and some R-compound or other sticky tires on there.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Just wondering if this combo might be a little too much for a road course especially for a first time racer such as myself. Just worried it might be a little to much speed/power and might make the car a lot harder to stop and slow down for the corners.
Very hard on brakes. I don't think yours will last much longer than a couple of laps.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
or maybe a throttle stop?
Make sure you get some good suspension (koni/strano), good brakes (blank rotors), and some R-compound or other sticky tires on there.

Throttle stop. Excellent suggestion until you get the hang of it. Otherwise, don't do anything and go out there and learn it. Control and holding back is usually the hardest for even the best drivers to learn. - Don't mistake that for being the scared slow *** around the track pissing everyone off. - Sneak up to the limit (of your driving in the car) and back off a little. Are we talking about the 98 TA that's in your sig below? Your brakes will be very hot very quick. Start off with some good High temp racing pads and fluid. Build from there. My cars weight is in the low 2Ks and I still have / need these brakes. (note: rotor is on wrong side, just on for fitment)

Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I would do some track days before I did that.

Mine is heavy, 4000 lbs with an instructor in the car and at Roebling Road it would run 137mph on the front stretch and it only has 375 to the wheels.

I dont see you using that power as a novice, it might get you in trouble.
I have a set of stock 98 ls1 heads laying around that I could use and with a mild cam I could probably be a little less than 400rwhp. do you think this would be a more wise decision? It certainly would save me alot of money. Just don't want to be down on power for the street. I also don't know how well my ported FAST intake would work with crappy stock heads.

Very hard on brakes. I don't think yours will last much longer than a couple of laps. Throttle stop. Excellent suggestion until you get the hang of it. Otherwise, don't do anything and go out there and learn it. Control and holding back is usually the hardest for even the best drivers to learn. - Don't mistake that for being the scared slow *** around the track pissing everyone off. - Sneak up to the limit (of your driving in the car) and back off a little. Are we talking about the 98 TA that's in your sig below? Your brakes will be very hot very quick. Start off with some good High temp racing pads and fluid. Build from there. My cars weight is in the low 2Ks and I still have / need these brakes. (note: rotor is on wrong side, just on for fitment)
Right now, I've got basically brand new EBC redstuff pads and rotors on the car. Was hoping to get a few uses out of them before stepping up to some racing pads and rotors. What is this throttle stop you speak of? Yes the 98 TA in sig. I currently have strano springs and bilstein shocks. I was planning on getting strano swaybars, fays2 watts link, UMI road race k member and a good torque arm.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I have a set of stock 98 ls1 heads laying around that I could use and with a mild cam I could probably be a little less than 400rwhp. do you think this would be a more wise decision? It certainly would save me alot of money. Just don't want to be down on power for the street. I also don't know how well my ported FAST intake would work with crappy stock heads.

Right now, I've got basically brand new EBC redstuff pads and rotors on the car. Was hoping to get a few uses out of them before stepping up to some racing pads and rotors. What is this throttle stop you speak of? Yes the 98 TA in sig. I currently have strano springs and bilstein shocks. I was planning on getting strano swaybars, fays2 watts link, UMI road race k member and a good torque arm.
You need a cam that will provide a nice FLAT torque curve, not a peaky drag race style cam. You need a cam that you can leave the car 1 gear UP from where it really should be and have it pull when you get on the gas out of the corner.

I would either port the heads or buy a used set of LS6 heads, they can be had out of junk yards cheap as the came on some trucks, casting 243 or 799. Or buy a used set off here for $400 ish dollars.

A stock 03 LS6 setup makes a killer road course setup. Heads, cam and intake on a stock bottom end.

Those brake pads you have are junk, you need at minimum a set of Hawk DTC 30's front and a HP+ on the rear with some cooling ducts on the front.

I have a set of DTC30's if you are interested, 1 track weekend on them. I moved up to C6 vette brakes with Carbotech 10's on the front.

EDIT
If it was me. I would run what you have with a LS6 intake. PLENTY of power to get you into a LOT of trouble.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-02-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Best H/C/I combo for a road race-475rwhp?