Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best H/C/I combo for a road race-475rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 228 or 224 cam in mind for this but not really sure if thats quite what were looking for. What exactly would you recommend? I'm trying to find something with a flat torque curve like you said.

Im not buying anything just yet, working on saving up a bit of cash and unloading my previous motor.

Will my FAST intake work well with the stock heads or ls6 heads? Its all I've got right now.

As of right now, the car is in pieces. I have a 408 motor that im looking to get rid of so im basically starting from scratch as far as the engine is concerned. By running what I have are you saying I shouldn't bother getting all the suspension stuff I was talking about?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
I had a 228 or 224 cam in mind for this but not really sure if thats quite what were looking for. What exactly would you recommend? I'm trying to find something with a flat torque curve like you said.

Im not buying anything just yet, working on saving up a bit of cash and unloading my previous motor.

Will my FAST intake work well with the stock heads or ls6 heads? Its all I've got right now.

As of right now, the car is in pieces. I have a 408 motor that im looking to get rid of so im basically starting from scratch as far as the engine is concerned. By running what I have are you saying I shouldn't bother getting all the suspension stuff I was talking about?
Have you looked at tsp 233/239?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was referring to the engine.

You can buy 241 heads dirt cheap, also 5.3 heads. I have a set of both and will sell you either set you want for $100

A set of 241 or 5.3 heads with a FAST and a decent cam would work well. Do you have the specs on the cam you have?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

The only cam I have is the one out of my 408 which was a 246/254 which would not work with a stock motor or for road racing.

Might be interested in the heads but is it really worth upgrading to another basic stock head when I already have 806 heads? I know there not great but is it even worth it?

I have not looked in that cam but I am open anything that can give me the flat torque curve I need and great driveability.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

The only cam I have is the one out of my 408 which was a 246/254 which would not work with a stock motor or for road racing.

Might be interested in the heads but is it really worth upgrading to another basic stock head when I already have 806 heads? I know there not great but is it even worth it?

I have not looked in that cam but I am open anything that can give me the flat torque curve I need and great driveability.
I would use the 806 heads if I had them, put some PAC or Comp 1218 springs on, do a GOOD valvejob and have them milled some to bump compression.

Put in a 405hp LS6 cam, buy them for $100 used

Use your FAST, get some 28lb injectors.

Should make between 360-380 to the wheels with headers and exhaust with a tune
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, I was hoping you were going to get a favourable outcome to your original question as I'm in the same boat here in NZ. My car's way up there but I need more power down our back straight & more torque out of the corners to make at least a 2 sec drop in lap times.

gmmusclecarman

I use on my front, EBC yellow with 330mm slotted rotors & 4 spot Wilwoods, My car is full weight/upholstered street car, I get no brake fade at all from 230kph/143mph to a 65kph/40mph 2nd gear hair pin in our 5 lap races.

I have used Hawk pads before, but man they are so friggen dusty.

You will also need a power steer cooler or your oil will burn.

I also run an Accusump....underdrive pulley!!! only use standard or ATI as road racing will give bad harmonics and bust your timing chain....how do I know....full noise in 4th & POW.

Sorry OP for High jack, just thought he & others need to be aware.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I would use the 806 heads if I had them, put some PAC or Comp 1218 springs on, do a GOOD valvejob and have them milled some to bump compression.

Put in a 405hp LS6 cam, buy them for $100 used

Use your FAST, get some 28lb injectors.

Should make between 360-380 to the wheels with headers and exhaust with a tune
Why not go with a mild cam and the LS6 heads? I've got 42lb injectors will I be able to reuse those? With a mild cam I could probably make between 400-425 to the wheels. I think that would be a happy medium for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not go with a mild cam and the LS6 heads? I've got 42lb injectors will I be able to reuse those? With a mild cam I could probably make between 400-425 to the wheels. I think that would be a happy medium for me.
You are pretty much on track, Your 42lb inj will be ok. Mill the heads & get that compression up. But do take heed of what I said above.

Last edited by ls1 1990 VN; 01-03-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

I put a complete 2003 LS6 topend on mine and made 375 to the wheels, with a better exhaust and a few more tricks I can make 400 to the wheels.

Makes a lot of torque down low and drives like a completely stock Z28.

Be careful on cam selection, especially ramp rates as it will become a maintenance deal to replace springs once a season.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see lots of threads that interest me and then never hear the outcome, so...

My LS1 gave up the ghost which forced me to do something else. My shop owner did me a deal on building a LS3 based 416 with decent parts. My mistake was telling him I needed to keep it on the tame end as I could have to use it for a DD. That was a mistake.

Once we got bigger/better headers & exhaust (TSP 1 7/8 & custome true 3" dual with bullet mufflers) and using LS3 heads and intake and a somewhat milder cam then we should have we ended up with 525/520 at the wheels. Lots of fun at the track! I hang right with the modded Z06's and a 2010 ACR Viper. Went to better C5 non drilled rotors and race pads. No fade, PLENTY of stopping power (also using hydraboost). I have removed some weight with taking out stock seats, jack and spare as well as stock seatbelts. Using harness bar with corbeaus in front. Now in hindsight I should have done as the shop owner suggested and gone a complete race setup including stripping the interior as well as grabbing another 50-60 hp with a more aggressive cam, ported intake, and E85. That would have kept the viper from passing me and closer to that 750hp GTR. With the bilstiens, cf drive shaft, 3.73 gears (now 3.55 to keep from shifting to 5th and immediatley back in the 145mph straight) various Strano parts (who also suggested the blanks and pads-thx Sam!) this car has me back to playing with the big boys. And after reviewing the race videos, although not quite as fast down the straight (it would be with those changes mentioned) it laps quicker then the 67 and handles better.

I may need to change the clutch out this summer from the LS7 to a twin disc and would also love a TR6060, but alas the budget says no on the new trans. Although not using a dry sump, I have Setrabs biggest cooler, improved racings pan baffle and Mobile 1 0-50 Racing Oil and we finally have oil temps under control.

I'm not saying I can beat a highly modified Z06 with similar power, but the guy with the 2010 ACR says he's running 620hp and 100lbs lighter and I hang on his butt during a 20 minute session. It has turned out better then hoped, but as with all these there is always something else you'd like to do that your wallet tells you no. Hate it when the wallet gets talking and worse when I have to listen to it!!!

Last edited by dbs1; 03-09-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Good suggestion for ls1..I rather switch to Ls3..

Quick Reply: Best H/C/I combo for a road race-475rwhp?