Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped Valve, Damaged Piston question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dropped Valve, Damaged Piston question.

I've had a problem with my engine, car died on me a week ago. Took valve covers off and saw that 8 rockers were able to rotate on the pedestals. Long story short I bought some used TSP Terminator heads, but I didn't know the bolt holes are shallower for the exahust valve rockers. I used factory bolts and it bottomed out and they were not torqued properly. One rocker beat the **** out of the keeper and the valve lock failed and the valve dropped.

I got lucky the valve did not full drop, it got bent slighly by the piston and stayed closed. I took the head off and this is what it looks like. Head will just need one valve replaced and a valve job for that valve.

Piston on the other hand has a gouge. It is not super deep, should I just file off the rouge edges and leave it be? I'd hate to have to rebuild the motor.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a reference measurement of where the top of the piston in to the top of the block (deck) just to make sure that the rod didn't bend. It's unlikely that the rod bent, but, since it's out, I'd check.

Make sure the valve guide is OK as, well.

Other than that, I'd do what you've noted; knock the edges done & then the valve related work.

Did you find the valve stem locks?
Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks to be ok... I would clean the top of the piston and look for cracks. If it were me and I had the down time for me to take it out I would, honestly as it looks you should be fine tho
Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did find the valve locks. They were still in the head up top.

I will check the piston for cracks. I will tell the machine shop to inspect the valve guide as well.

What should I use to file the hard edges?

Quick Reply: Dropped Valve, Damaged Piston question.