Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on a LQ4 build...

Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help on a LQ4 build...

I've done some searching but can't come up with anything solid... I'm having trouble deciding what to go with as far as pistons...

I've got a 1999 LQ4 shortblock. The engine was complete but had sat outside covered by a plastic tarp but got some junk down in the cylinders, may clean up tho. I'm gonna tear the short block down and have it dipped. I may possibly have to get the block bored over.

I'm planning on running the following... in a 2nd gen Firebird with a 4L80e

LS3 heads with patriot spings and LS3 intake manifold-cable tb
Custom spec Pat G cam around .600? lift (I had pm'd him a while back)
Long tube headers and true duals
Custom tune
Decent convertor

As far as pistons go, what should I go with? I've read that the stock LQ9 should be fine as far as PTV with the lift I'll be around. With me having to possibly bore the block, what pistons should I go with? I'll more than likely be using the stock rods and crank.

If the short block turns out to be fine using the stock dished pistons, what kind of power could I expect using that setup with the lower compression ratio?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Eric
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would personally suggest taking it .030" over, and upgrading to a 6.125" rod as well.

We have many options as far as 4.030" pistons and 6.125" rod combos in stock. Give us a call or shoot me a pm if you are interested.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The jumbo valves on the LS3 heads have a notable impact on PTV clearance but you may have known that already and I know Pat does. On a custom cam, Pat can take your Intake Valve Close into consideration where it will help out your compression if needed. If you have to get different pistons I think it would be ideal to get flat tops with valve reliefs. It seems that you would have the best of both worlds...compression with PTV clearance. On a stock motor the stock dished piston vs. the flat top is worth .4 in compression.

Here are a couple calculators that might come in handy for you...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html
http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

Search this Thread