Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump o ring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pump o ring question

Ok so I scored an LSA oil pan for my 5.3 Cutlass project, the pan is almost identical to the CTS-V pan with the exception of a few exterior changes..

it came with the pick-up but NOT the o-ring.. in my fel-pro kit, i had the red, green and black o-rings.. I used assembly lube on the pump as well as the tube and o-ring.. I tried the red ring, i installed it on the tube and with a little pressure it went in, I even pulled the tube out slighty to shine a light down to make sure the ring didnt pinch or roll, it did not..

But my gut didnt like how easily the tube popped in so for giggles I tried the green ring which appeared thicker (I might be wrong you guys can correct me ) This time it felt I little more resistance but i repeated the same procedure, I backed the tube out a little to look and make sure the o-ring was nice and square in the hole and not pinched and it was.. I dunno, im just new at building LS motors, Im used to Olds and Gen 1 sbcs and I want to do it right! especially while I have the engine upside... After researching, the general consensus was to use assembly lube or lucas and I did I used Rislone and it made it good and slippery! any thoughts guys?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Im also under the impression the green o-ring was for the truck pump originally.. the necks on the pickups are different, the stock truck has a groove, while the CTS is straight and smooth all the way down to the bubble flare.. I just hope i did this right!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

I recently had to redo my oil pump O-ring because my pressure was bleeding off. I tried the green one first and it was slightly to large so I ended up going with the black. It basically popped right into the pump. I have great pressure around 62 at idle. I believe you have to find the one that fits best for your pump and pick up. It sounds like you are good with the green one though.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cobrakillincamaro
I recently had to redo my oil pump O-ring because my pressure was bleeding off. I tried the green one first and it was slightly to large so I ended up going with the black. It basically popped right into the pump. I have great pressure around 62 at idle. I believe you have to find the one that fits best for your pump and pick up. It sounds like you are good with the green one though.
Thanks for the input man, Like I said i've never done this before, I know its not brain surgery and I'm aware of how easy you can pinch that o-ring.. I just dont wanna get it in the car and have no pressure!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I had pinched mine and I only had 40 psi when it was cold and then when it got up to temp would bleed down to nothing. I had to spend close to a day working on it all because I pinched it.

Quick Reply: Oil pump o ring question