Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on LS1 build

Hi Everyone
Well about a year ago I was planning on doing this to my Ls1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ld-advise.html

but do to my wedding expenses all I have been able to do is a ported TB and Maf with a SLP lid (Saw a nice change in throttle response)
Anyway now I am thinking with this years tax return and some luck swapping the Ls1 with tranny into a 4door sedan maybe a E39 but before I do I want to refresh my entire engine being that I am now over 100K, because I want this motor to last and while its out why not pamper it. So I am looking for some advice. So first my goals in order of importance

1. Reliability and longevity(this will be a DD for long time.)
2. Maintaining close to current mpg (I don't mind a small increase.)
3. Staying within CA emissions BS
4 HP gains (For now just about any improvement over stock is welcome but focusing on improving efficiency and keeping long term reliability.)
5. Future Power (I want to pick parts now for a possible 500+ Hp motor in the future thinking of going the FI route.)

So first I am thinking of sending block off to get reconditioned unless when I take it apart the cylinder walls look good. (or should I just do this anyway to make sure everything is square and true?) any recommended Vendors that do this?

For the rotating assembly I think I will keep the stock crank but swap out the rods and use forged pistons and have the whole setup balanced. (this should help improve efficiency of the motor by making the assembly a little lighter and set me up for future mods.) Suggestions for what type of rods a pistons I should use?

As for the heads I think I might just keep the stock ones for now but send them out to get CNCed and install stiffer springs and new lifters. what should I use for springs and lifters?

For the rest a custom speced mild cam that ups the RPM range a little, under-drive pulleys, ported water and oil pumps, Ls2 or double roller timing chain, hardened push rods and ARP bolts all around, a lighter flywheel and new clutch and I will keep intake with ported TB and Maf......and once engine is in new car have custom exhaust done then get a tune.

So am I on the right path or am i totally out in left field?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A set of AFR 210 heads are an excellent choice to significantly improve power and they will also increase fuel economy. Their high velocity runner will give you great torque for "killer" street performance.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

yeah but don't those run in the 15 hundred dollar range.

I should be able to CNC my heads for around 600 and springs and lifters for about another 400 or just go with PRC Stage 1 heads for around 11 hundred

Though it dose look like the AFR flow better than the PRC I just don't know if its 4 to 5 hundred dollars better for me at this time......but I will keep my eyes out for a deal when I am ready to buy

thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so after reading Patrick G's recipe to 500hp thread and running across some of Tonys stuff then re-reading some of my books with a new understanding and a little better grasp on the whole picture.....I started jumping back and fourth between the flow numbers from several different manufactures.

And I think I am sold on what Paul57 tried to tell me AFR 210s are the way I want to go.(Thanks Paul I am a little think headed and some times it takes a min for things to seep through.) also I think that I will look closely at what parts Patrick G picked for his valve train because I would also like to up my rpms a little.

Any advice out there on rods and pistons?