Sponsored by:

Noob looking for build advise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob looking for build advise.

Hey guys

I’m looking for some input on my build. I’m good a turning a wrench but I need help with the details, I’m still a couple months away from pulling the trigger on the parts but I figured while I wait on the money I can get all my info lined up. My goal is for high 300hp to low 400hp range N/A, while still passing California’s super strict emissions BS and being a reliable daily driver. Starting off stock, so this is what I was thinking.(budget is about 4K)

Catback Exhaust… with X pipe and exit over the rear axle. (There are a couple out there but they are $900+ so I'm still looking for a shop in the area that can do it custom for cheaper…fingers crossed)

Shorty Headers (I know you don’t get a lot of gain with shorty’s but I figured every little bit helps.)

SLPs cold air intake.

Underdrive Harmonic Balancer…. 10% reduction.

Cam…..216/220 114LSA (also while I’m in there I was thinking that I would swap out the Oil and water pump and timing chain engine is about 5K short of a 100k miles, I figure a little TLC can go a long way.)

My Heads now here is the big question for me what to get or do….that will get me to or close to my Hp range without breaking my bank…..what I have in mind so far will cost about 3,800 with tune. (If I install the parts myself.)
My options

1: New decent heads with hardware about 1,250 (great gains will most likely get me too my goal but costly for me)

2: I have read that I can send my stock heads out to get a 5 axis CNC for about 600 (if true it will most likely get me close to my goal without breaking the bank…only drawback turnaround time)

3: gasket match and smooth out the channels myself….Free (won’t see much gains and I would have to be super careful not to damage them, Figured I would also do my TB while I was at it.)

I think 2 is my best bet but I have to look into it more find companies and prices.

What do you guys think, am I missing something?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a plan. I like the CNC 5.3 heads. With them you'd get some nice valves and springs. And I think you'd save a lot if you skipped the fancy exhaust and just installed a cut-out and/or a decent catback. There's not a hell of a lot to be gained there for the cost.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Sounds like a plan. I like the CNC 5.3 heads. With them you'd get some nice valves and springs. And I think you'd save a lot if you skipped the fancy exhaust and just installed a cut-out and/or a decent catback. There's not a hell of a lot to be gained there for the cost.
Yeah I have been thinking about that...I like a set that Texas Speed has. and if I can get the exhaust done and my other parts for the right price I just might jump on the set.

And a question to show my noob status.
If I port my ls1 can I still use my stock springs, rockers and push rods?
I would assume yes but you know what they say about people who assume.

Last edited by barkerpa3466; 02-17-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: noob question added and spelling
Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by barkerpa3466
Yeah I have been thinking about that...I like a set that Texas Speed has. and if I can get the exhaust done and my other parts for the right price I just might jump on the set.

And a question to show my noob status.
If I port my ls1 can I still use my stock springs, rockers and push rods?
I would assume yes but you know what they say about people who assume.
Yeah, the stage 2.5 5.3 heads are proven performers at a good price.

I would definitely upgrade the springs and push rods, not because of the CNC heads, but because they are called for due to the cam's more aggressive lobes. The stock springs and push rods are kind of weak even with the stock cam.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

talk to NOCAL first.AFR heads are carb approved.get a Patrick-G cam,he knows Cali emmissions.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

from every ones advice and the cost I think I'm going to go with a set of stage 2.5 5.3L heads. Now I'm just waiting on the tax return so I can start buying parts

a couple other questions being that I'm almost at 100K I'm going to replace the timing chain oil and water pumps, are there any other parts I should replace?

and can I use my stock lifters and push rods with the 5.3 heads?

thanks guys
Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

get hardened push rods,or they might bend under the strain from your new hardware

You can reuse your lifters, but wouldn't you rather spend $100, and not have to worry that one of your stock lifters are bad?

There is no need to change the water pump if it works fine, it isn't that hard to get to anyway.

Remember to budget in fluids and miscellaneous expenses.

parts to replace
spark plugs
spark plug wires
head gaskets
header gaskets
push rods
lifters
valve springs
oil pump
and more, I just can't think of them now
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

I have budgeted about $134 for rods and $185 for lifters not including shipping

can I use stock length rods with 5.3 heads with stock rockers and 216/220 114LSA cam.....or am I going to have to measure then order?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

You can do pushrods for $100 and lifters for around $125 if you look. And why in the world do you want to skimp on headers? Stick with a lid and filter by itsself for the air intake. I would also spring for a larger cam
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by intenseblue
You can do pushrods for $100 and lifters for around $125 if you look. And why in the world do you want to skimp on headers? Stick with a lid and filter by itsself for the air intake. I would also spring for a larger cam
As for the Headers and cam size, three words California Emission Standards.
I can't move my cats and from what I have read 216/220 is about as big as I can go.....As much as I would love to run LTs and a bigger cam I dont want to deal with the BS of trying to get around it.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

I have a set of brand new stock length 7.400" Manley Hardened Pushrods for $100 shipped right now.

I agree email Patrick-G on the cam he recommended one for me and my build.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by barkerpa3466
As for the Headers and cam size, three words California Emission Standards.
I can't move my cats and from what I have read 216/220 is about as big as I can go.....As much as I would love to run LTs and a bigger cam I dont want to deal with the BS of trying to get around it.
Alright gotcha. I missed that in your first post. I still think you could pull off a
slightly larger cam though something like a 218/224 on a 114lsa. The larger split would work well with shorties I'd think. Have you talked to any sponsors about speccing you a custom cam?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

GET A CUSTOM CAM

seriously though, you'll pay about the same, but Pat G, or one of the other vendors can spec you one, and you'll get exactly what you want. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but you'll be much happier with a custom cam than an off the shelf cam. Also, for the install LS1howto.com has a great tech article on a heads cam swap. If you have any questions, post them up. Most of us guys on here are more than happy to help spend your $, and tell you what we've learned from our experiences.
Now, its Beer:30
Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by intenseblue
Alright gotcha. I missed that in your first post. I still think you could pull off a
slightly larger cam though something like a 218/224 on a 114lsa. The larger split would work well with shorties I'd think. Have you talked to any sponsors about speccing you a custom cam?
Honestly I didn't think about a custom cam. I'm a little overwhelmed just doing the research trying to get a setup and parts right so I don't waste any cash or time I don't have too....I'm not opposed to a custom cam I just need some one that can walk me through it because my understanding of cams is very basic.

And thanks Unertl42
I already found those and put them in the build binder I'm making for this project so I have them on hand when I do this and the laptop will be on the work bench right next to it for any last minute questions....also I think I found a gm car club in the area that should meet up next weekend I'm going to go check them out.

Any one have any recommendations for places to get or for manufactures of bolts, gaskets, pushrods, lifters and any other odds and ends I would need for this build? (I'm checking out the different vendors on the site as I have time.)
Old 02-25-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

I honestly wouldnt even but the shortys, the exhaust manifolds flow well enough the difference and power between them and LTs comes from the LTs having the scavenging effect not that they are less restrictive. Dont forget to factor in a tune, probably a dyno over frost tune especially if your going with a custom cam
Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm still debating the shortys but every little bit helps and I was planning on getting a tune after the build
Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 AM
Staging Lane

I finally got the tax return going to make an appointment for a dyno run on Monday then I'm going to get my custom exhaust done then it will be time to start ordering parts.