Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE--Here we go! 98 Z28 LQ4 Swap-- Pics Inside!--Video Added!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

No updates as of yet. Been pretty busy since I've been home from deployment.

I'm going to be putting the rear axle, rear suspension stuff, and fuel pump in today.

I wish I could start it up, but I don't wanna chance hydrolocking it... lol.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Haven't got the stuff put on the car yet, but I have some pics of some of the parts I have left to put on.

Here's the Y-pipe, cutout, and 4" to 3" reducer.

Here's the Spohn LCA's and PHR.

Here's the 4" Chromemoly Driveshaft

Just for reference, here's a pic of the header's ground clearance under the car.

I also have the 9" sitting outside to put under it. That will hopefully be going in with the rest of the stuff tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't rain. I don't have a place to work on the car right now aside from my mothers front yard.. haha.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Got the Racetronix fuel pump, Moser 9", Mufflex Y-Pipe, and the LCAs/PHR installed yesterday. I'll get some pics when I'm near the car again. I was in the zone yesterday and didn't stop for pics.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98SSClone
Got the Racetronix fuel pump, Moser 9", Mufflex Y-Pipe, and the LCAs/PHR installed yesterday. I'll get some pics when I'm near the car again. I was in the zone yesterday and didn't stop for pics.
I hate it when that happens.

I used to try to make how-tos.. I'd set out to do it, bring the camera down to the garage..

do all the work.. then spot the camera on the workbench and go "****.."

at least you get more done that way tho.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so I bought a Spohn chassis mount torque arm, and their extreme drag sway bar. I got those installed. Was kinda bummed to find out that my Mufflex Y-pipe doesn't fit. Oh well, guess I'll just take the merge part with me tomorrow when I get the exhaust done and get them to use that and build me a new y-pipe that will fit.

On another note. IT RUNS!! Got her fired up today! Got part of the tune done. We were in process of doing some idle tuning so that it would stay running, and the little flexible hose that connects the pump to the sending unit decided to explode in half. I had to cut a big *** hole in the back of my car to pull the pump out and replace the hose. I was NOT about to drop the rear axle, gas tank, and all that other crap just to change a hose. So, I broke out the metal shears. Got the hose replaced and now we're back in business. The tune will be finished up tomorrow.

Startup and idle video coming soon. I'm uploading it to photobucket as I type this.

Also, you'll notice her new shoes in the pics below. Had to take the fronts off cause I still need to grind on the calipers to get them to fit. The rears fit perfectly because my rear axle has LT1 brakes on it.

Rear tires are 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets on 15x8" Summit Fast Fives with 4.5" backspacing (rear is narrowed 1" per side). Fronts are 26x6" Mickey Thompson Sportsman front runners on a 15x4" wheel. The 28" rear tires definitely lifted my car about 2". I can actually see under the car without having to jack it up.

AAANNNNDDDD The video

Last edited by 98SSClone; 06-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear the ole beast run again!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

I took it and had the exhaust done yesterday. They used the Flowmaster merge from the Mufflex Y-pipe, ran 4" pipe back to the 4" cutout, then reduced down to 3" and ran that over the axle into a 3" Super 40 Flowmaster that is turned down right behind the bumper. I didn't want the tailpipe visible. I'll try and get a startup video with a few revs and possibly a burnout video tomorrow. I love the way it sounds! I'm glad the entire interior in my car doesn't vibrate anymore. The only vibrations I get are from the solid mounts, and they're not that bad. It just shakes the car a bit at idle. When driving, all of the vibrations go away.

I still need to adjust the LCAs on the rear a little. I'm not sure if it's because of the spool in the rear axle, but my tires rub a bit when turning. Could just be that the 28" tires barely fit in the wheel wells and they don't like to let loose and spin when turning. Hell, they barely spin when launching it on the street.

I might take it to the track tomorrow night. So I will POSSIBLY have some time slips to show. I can't wait to see what it'll do at the track. To be honest, I'm kinda scared to launch it... lol. I've never driven a car with this much power down the track. I'm hoping the Spohn Extreme Drag sway bar in the rear helps it launch straight.

I'm going, in the morning, to get the tune finished up. I can't figure out why my MAF isn't getting voltage. If we can't get it figured out, we're gonna go ahead and go speed density.. which is what it's kinda running in right now.

I still have to install the Racetronix fuel pump wiring harness, the cutout wiring, and rewire the fans to see if I can get them to run on the factory computer again.. Someone, over the life of the car, decided that it would be a good idea to cut the fan wiring and hook them up to a manual switch. Then, when I got home from deployment, I noticed that there was a wire sitting there that ran down to a wire nut that was attached to the fans wiring. So, out of curiosity, I stuck it to the pos battery terminal and the fans kicked on... Wasn't too happy about that, but that's why I have to rewire them.

All in all, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It has a lot of power that I'll have to get used to. Also, driving with a 4k stall takes some getting used to as well. It's not nearly as bad on gas as I thought it would be. Still gets 20+mpg on the highway doing about 75-80.

I will be back tomorrow with more updates. Stay tuned
Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome man! I love that sexy navy blue metallic...best stock color hands down! (can you tell mine is same color lol!). I can't wait to see what this beast runs at the track!

I have mickey Thompson et streets too...you're right about them never spinning! I was so used to street tires spinning first to second and the et streets just throw you forward no spinnin! A tip for the track is make sure you heat those tires up for a decent amount of time...and run like 15psi in the tires that's where mine liked to be...good luck man!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely the 28's and the spool. As soon as I put the spool and 28's on, my rear bumper was toast after a few turns.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Well, last night was eventful. Apparently my car has enough power to snap all 5 wheel studs clean the f*ck off. I ended up losing the drivers side rear tire on the launch. Luckily there was a guy there that had a 10 bolt he just pulled out of his car, so we went and robbed the wheel studs out of it to get my car home. Guess we'll see what happens when I get some new studs put in it. Sad part is that it had aftermarket studs in it already. Guess it's time to upgrade to some 1/2" studs instead of replacing the 12mm ones.

On the brighter side of the scenario, it hooked like a motherf*cker! On 30psi in the tires too. I was planning to run them at street pressure, then dropping them to see what it liked best.

To me, it felt like the front wheels were about to lift right when the studs broke. So, maybe next time we'll get to see a wheels up launch.

I was really tempted to make another pass after we got the studs replaced, but I didn't want to chance breaking any more wheel studs. I don't think the stock camaro ones we put in there would've held up well either.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Bringing this back from the dead.

I took the car to the track back in July and the passes ranged from 12.30 to 11.96 all at 110mph. I was fighting with wheel hop, brakes not wanting to hold so I could build some RPM, and spinning about 20ft out of the hole. I think my pinion angle was a little off.

Now I'm gonna part the car out. I don't drive it as much as I would like. It just sits in my uncles shop. Most of the reason is cause I'm in Cali and the car is in MS.

Just figured I'd bump the thread and let you guys know that it's getting parted out and everything will be for sale. Just have to coordinate with my uncle and get him to tear it down. If there's anything you guys are interested in, PM me.

Quick Reply: UPDATE--Here we go! 98 Z28 LQ4 Swap-- Pics Inside!--Video Added!