Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*video* bad engine shudder and movement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default *video* bad engine shudder and movement

i have an 01 ss with a few bolt ons and ive been chasing an idle issue and also a engine shudder that i thought were connected but im not sure anymore. when at park and idle you can feel the whole car shudder as the engine does, it is not constant it goes through waves almost, it will shudder once or twice then have a pretty bad one then smooth out for a few seconds. no misfire code though. at park you can rev the engine and watch it shift to the left every time fairly bad. upon first startup there is a steady tapping noise comming from the engine somewhere i cant really track it down, but as the engine warms up or i rev it it goes away. there are symptoms when i drive it as well just cruising and when driving slow every time i hit 30mph the whole car starts shaking pretty bad, and stops by the time i hit 40. then starts again at 65 and ends at 80. every time without fail between these two speeds. the first video shows the engine shifting every time i rev and the second i tried to show how bad the shuddering was by placing a glass of water on top of my intake. is it possible a broken motor mount could account for all of this even the shudder at park?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LY6T...dH8Dipz-qu392G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru3vw...-x2eoeAWP1TZf1
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1st video looks like a bad motor mount. Don't know about the "shuddering" though.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sepsis
The 1st video looks like a bad motor mount. Don't know about the "shuddering" though.
the shudder is really hard to show in video bcuz it just doesnt look like its a problem and cant tell how much it is actually shaking and you all are prob like big deal i can put a glass of water on my intake and it will shake too.... trust me its not a normal thing for this motor to be doing this its idleing rough and shaking worse every day
Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Mine does exactly the same thing and I've been dealing with this for a while now. Let me know also if they give u answer bud.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Maybe I'm blind. Both videos look completely normal to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they look normal to me to, the only thing i could think to tell you is do do motor mounts, but every ls motor i have ever seen moves just as much at rev, you could go with solid motor mounts but thats your call, as far as the shudder i didnt notice anything , but im sure you could tell in person, did you do headers and motor mounts?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

looks normal to me, i dont see the shudder. i would change motor mounts to be for sure though. is you go solid or poly you will have alot more vibration
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

When it does the shudder..record your engine rpm.Does it drop or visually show a difference in idle speed.That would show more than the glass of water test.My engine shudders to at idle but I know what is causing it and not bother to fix it yet.My driver side front o2 hits my just enough to sometimes short out.Once revved or higher than idle and the motor torque up it goes away.Ive just simply unplugged that o2 for now.I dont have a 4thgen fbody though.

Engine problems like this are pita to fix and most times are electrical issues.Start with basics,check for leaks,bad spark plugs/wires etc.Unplug every connector and check for corrosion that you can and re-grease them for peace of mind.Do any wires on the harness look very brittle from heat..and check ecu..lightly tap it while the car is running and see if that forces your issue.Good luck