Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating Assembly questions? Can you buy cast rotating assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by remauto1187
Hardly the same considering he already has the 5.7l block and does not have a 6.0l block.

Isnt it always amazing how many guys there are with 6.0l on the brain when you can make a very nice amount of power out of a 5.7l. Its very easy to "spend" someone else's money.

6.0l does not equal budget.....checked prices on a junkyard setup lately?
it is easy to spend someone elses money, but its also easy to save them money in the long run. a 6.0 block can be had for cheap. usually for bout 100 bucks more than an LS1 block. the purchace of a 6.0 block crank and pistons will net him more (considerably) in the long run esp when it comes time to turn up the volume on it. at this point, all he has good from the LS1 is the block and rods. the pistons probably wont be useable since it will probably need a hone, so either way your stuck buying pistons and a crank. may as well step into a 6.0 block.

if he can find a 6.0 block for around 250-300 bucks and sell the LS1 block for 200 ish, your only 50 to 100 bucks deeper in the hole and the power advantage is well worth it.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pistons will be reuseable after a hone, just not after boring. Unless im honing each cylinder for like 20 minutes it'll be fine. Couple quick passes with a ball hone just to get a nice pattern in there and it'll be fine. My crosshatching in the cylinders is all still there anyways I just wanna freshen it up as I'm using new rings. Rods all look fine and I've seen a few cranks in the 200-300 dollar range, so my rebuild really won't be all that bad
Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
it is easy to spend someone elses money, but its also easy to save them money in the long run. a 6.0 block can be had for cheap. usually for bout 100 bucks more than an LS1 block. the purchace of a 6.0 block crank and pistons will net him more (considerably) in the long run esp when it comes time to turn up the volume on it. at this point, all he has good from the LS1 is the block and rods. the pistons probably wont be useable since it will probably need a hone, so either way your stuck buying pistons and a crank. may as well step into a 6.0 block.

if he can find a 6.0 block for around 250-300 bucks and sell the LS1 block for 200 ish, your only 50 to 100 bucks deeper in the hole and the power advantage is well worth it.
You have been around ls engines for a while and understand the concept.
Some other folks still dont grasp, that rebuilds usually net the same amount.
I use to machine,assemble resale ls motors for a living for a while. So imo it makes more sense if looking to upgrade. A 6.0 rebuild is hard to beat. The ls1 block will sell if its in good usable condition. I guess i prefer the bigger ci capacity.
Prices for 6.0 blocks now are very reasonble, even summit sells a 4.030 block for a fair pricr. If factor in that the block is ready to build out of the box.
I currently have fs a 6.0 block and crank for 300$
2 longblock 6.0s for 1500$ each.
Not advertising, just a mention of typical 6.0 prices
Old 01-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NemeSS
You have been around ls engines for a while and understand the concept.
Some other folks still dont grasp, that rebuilds usually net the same amount.
I use to machine,assemble resale ls motors for a living for a while. So imo it makes more sense if looking to upgrade. A 6.0 rebuild is hard to beat. The ls1 block will sell if its in good usable condition. I guess i prefer the bigger ci capacity.
Prices for 6.0 blocks now are very reasonble, even summit sells a 4.030 block for a fair pricr. If factor in that the block is ready to build out of the box.
I currently have fs a 6.0 block and crank for 300$
2 longblock 6.0s for 1500$ each.
Not advertising, just a mention of typical 6.0 prices
And just like the OP says....a set of rings and a hone and he's good. The 6.0l is not the answer to every "problem". Facts are facts that it still costs $$$ ro move up in displacement and the OP and many of us here don't have the extra $$ while on a budget to go with a 6.0l especially when our hp needs/wants are very satisfied with a 5.3l/5.7l engine.

Now if we were drag racing the engine on a track for $$, sponsors, etc...we of course wouldnt be on a budget with a hobby like that and as always "there is no replacement for dispacement".

Reality for me is that i have a son and girlfriend to take care of, house i am rebuilding (fixer upper) with 5 acres and paying off at the same time and have to watch my $$ to pay for my hunting trips and equipment as well and not to mention 3 always hungry German Shepherds to feed.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I just picked a lq9 shortblock for $500. Has 20,000 miles on. The deals are out there just have to look.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

your 100% correct that the 6.0 is the way to go. im just searching around right now and weighing out my options to see what route i wanna go. NemeSS Ill shoot you a PM. Maybe we can work something out..
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

IMHO, an iron block engine does NOT belong in any Camaro, Firebird, Corvette or any performance vehicle.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
IMHO, an iron block engine does NOT belong in any Camaro, Firebird, Corvette or any performance vehicle.
So i take it that big block in ur other car is aluminum??
The metal used for the block doesnt matter imo. Before these ls1 cars, every gm car had iron blocks,including corvettes.
I could care less, if it helps my car make mo powa, im all for it.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NemeSS
So i take it that big block in ur other car is aluminum??
The metal used for the block doesnt matter imo. Before these ls1 cars, every gm car had iron blocks,including corvettes.
I could care less, if it helps my car make mo powa, im all for it.
"Mo Powa" lol

Considering in 1985, an ironblock TPI L98 350 was all you could get from the factory..... All the F-bodies and Y-bodies had Iron.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bigredmachine
your 100% correct that the 6.0 is the way to go. im just searching around right now and weighing out my options to see what route i wanna go. NemeSS Ill shoot you a PM. Maybe we can work something out..
Pm replied
Old 01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

No, sadly it is not HOWEVER, if my plans ever work out, it'd have an aluminum 572 sometime in the future. When I built that car, in the mid-80's, aluminum big blocks were pretty unavailable. World makes a very good aluminum big block these days.

My point is about the weight added to the car when going to an iron block motor. It adds about 80 pounds. It's best to remove weight from the front end, not add weight.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

"Mo powa" LOL! LIKE!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I think you'll find a lot of people will disagree with you there, especially people with racecars that have to meet a minimum weight anyways. SAM, for example went from an aluminum C5R block to an iron LSX block and went faster. LMR has used the iron LSX block in both the black Camaro and Firebird drag cars, not to mention RC's Corvette and Kelly Bise's Camaro that broke a few records at the Texas Mile.

To each his own I guess.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I didn't think I needed to say my opinion was about the vast majority of people here with cars running around on streets and highways. Of course when it comes to specific application race cars, things are different.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

I didn't think I needed to say my opinion was about the vast majority of people here with cars running around on streets and highways. Of course when it comes to specific application race cars, things are different.
RC's Vette was a streetcar with over 1200whp. Regardless, my point is that you're going to find a lot of people that would disagree. An iron block 408 is probably one of, if not the most popular engine built for the LSx platform.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

NemeSS. Never got your PM.

Quick Reply: Rotating Assembly questions? Can you buy cast rotating assembly?