Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Preload

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach99Z
Ahh! I did not know that. I just assumed it was measured by the actual length according to that diagram. I have the Comp Tool also if you were wondering. Thanks for that info.

I will say this though, for me personally I like using the caliper to get my measurements so they're spot on or at least very accurate. That's just me though.
But you have to realize that when a pushrod is installed in the system, it's the "gauge length" that is really the effective distance from the lifter seat to the rocker seat the pushrod fits in.

Therefore, if you measured say 7.400" from tip-to-tip with calipers, then the actual effective lenght (ie, the gauge length) is really around 7.385" ... which means the pushrods are effectively 0.015" shorter than you think they are. So if you think you have 0.050" pre-load by using your caliper measurement, in actuality you really only have 0.035" pre-load.

The lenght measuring tool takes that all into account, because it simulates an actual pushrod, and the way the pushrod ball ends seat into the lifter and rocker arm.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh guys I'm bringing this back because I need some help.

I opened her back up today and threw some 7.400 pushrods in there and set them to zero lash and it seems like the rocker was seated well but the pushrod could still be turned by hand, which I read indicates that the pushrod is the correct length.

So was my initial 7.325 measurement completely off? What the heck should I do?

Quick Reply: Lifter Preload