Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did serious damage occur?...opinions needed (Pics and vids)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure why your doing a leak down. Theres coolant in your oil. The heads need to come off no matter whats wrong with it. A visual inspection will tell you exactly whats wrong when the heads off.

The 1st thing would be to take off the valve covers. If its not in the valvetrain(Rockers, springs, pushrods) the heads need to come off.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

yea, the only thing to worry about, is like i said.....if the piston's not at bdc, it's gonna get there fast....and anything near anything rotating is gonna get flung...or caught in a belt. i used to use the leakdown testers, but it just seemed to me to be another step. that's why i told him to just run shop air to it.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i agree with all the above sounds like a head gasket.....
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Leak test #7 first (drivers side), Your leaking the motor to see what side is gone.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As said, first figure out which side is making the noise, then start tearing down that side of the motor starting with the valvetrain, then head etc to figure out what's actually wrong.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

OK so this is where I'm at so far, I haven't got to do much considering I've been pulling long hours at work. But I read all everyone's advice and am still getting around to doing the different things recommended. Thank you all for the help so far. I pulled all the plugs, which ended up being very time consuming considering I didn't have a lot of the needed wrenches/sockets and every place is closed by the time I actually get to work on the car. BTW my hands look like they've been drug down the street now haha. Also, pulled the coil packs, and valve covers, so I could take a look around like suggested. Pics are below. Next step I'm going to do the compression test and then drop the oil pan, and go from there.

Spark plugs in order:

2-4-6-8
1-3-5-7

Passenger side, valve cover removed:

Driver side, valve cover removed:

Please keep the opinions coming, I'll keep updating as a go along.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlumaroZ28
Car still looks damn nice though...even on the trailer!
Thanks man!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Pull the rockers and check the pushrods to make certain they are straight.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by venom 13
OK so this is where I'm at so far, I haven't got to do much considering I've been pulling long hours at work. But I read all everyone's advice and am still getting around to doing the different things recommended. Thank you all for the help so far. I pulled all the plugs, which ended up being very time consuming considering I didn't have a lot of the needed wrenches/sockets and every place is closed by the time I actually get to work on the car. BTW my hands look like they've been drug down the street now haha. Also, pulled the coil packs, and valve covers, so I could take a look around like suggested. Pics are below. Next step I'm going to do the compression test and then drop the oil pan, and go from there.

Spark plugs in order:

2-4-6-8
1-3-5-7

Please keep the opinions coming, I'll keep updating as a go along.
Hmmm, good ol' #7... Is it just me or does that gap look to be about double the other plugs? Like maybe the electrode is burned away?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Looks kind of rich. (which doesnt explain anything else) just an observation. 7 does look like it has a larger gap but hard to tell in pics.

Not argueing the head gasket theory but if it was generally wont they turn the plugs a whiter color because it cleans them off. (pretty much steam cleans them) and some signs of rust. Especially if he has took days to touch it. Makes me almost think the smoke is more an oil issue like broken ring than head gasket.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The million dollar question is what caused the gap on #7 to get so large? That's definitely going to cause a misfire on #7 with what looks like a 0.060" - 0.070" gap.

Hell, if it were me, I'd toss in some new plugs, put it back together, and see how it runs, but then again, I just cracked the ring land on #7 and proceeded to drive it 40 miles home without causing any more damage.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Did you just install the heads or have they been on there for a while?What kind of head gaskets you got on there?Sounds like a gasket.Deffinately do the radiator cap test before you start pulling it apart.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put shop air press on each cylinder and watch the rad to see bubbles ,and glad to see you had it towed after the problem occured rather then chance driving it and causing more poss problems.

Quick Reply: Did serious damage occur?...opinions needed (Pics and vids)