Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inside the valve cover
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CWellman
Inside the valve cover
Okay. If it is the head bolt hole closest to back of the block, the hole may be the result of a hole on the back of the block (e.g. bellhousing bolt) being drilled too deep at the factory). When that happens the over-drilled hole can intersect with the head bolt hole. (I encountered this once on a block after the head bolts had been removed while blowing compressed air into the head bolt hole.) If this is the case you do not necessarily have a problem.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Its in the center.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Got the heads back together. I put some sealent on the end on the bolt that had the blown hole. and everything torqued down as it should. so i should be able to put it back in and start it soon. in crossing my fingers.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you poured water in it, did the water drain out of the block? If so where did it come from? Like a couple have stated, the worst that can happen is you put it back together and it leaks somewhere. No need to buy another block until you know this one is FUBAR'd.
And whoever asked about reusing the stock head bolts, NO!!! Do not ever reuse torque to yield bolts, hell I NEVER reuse head or main bolts, or usually any bolt with more than 80ft-lbs. on it. Bolts aren't real cheap but cheap enough to not risk it, replace them, and recycle.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Th water drained Into the crank case so I guess its in the oil own now. ima drop the pan and see if the metal is in there and get it out. is there anything I should know about dropping the pan. as far as getting it back on?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never had mine drain into the pan,Mine busted on the side of the block. Id just fill it with sealer an run it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Thats the plan. if it runs we will put a 150 dry shot on
Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

keep us updated on when you crank it up. want to see where this leads to.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

For sure
Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, so as long as it didn't get a coolant port as well you should be perfectly fine I'd think.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

That why I was thinking too.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what I was thinking to.
stupid auto correct on my phone!!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Do you have to do something special to replace the oil pan?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CWellman
Do you have to do something special to replace the oil pan?
needs to be lined up properly, if the front and rear covers are on then it will line itself up, if the front and rear covers are off then you need the kent moore J tool (J-41480a)
Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 91sonomast
Hmmm, so as long as it didn't get a coolant port as well you should be perfectly fine I'd think.
This is correct. If nothing else is intersecting the bolt hole, you're in the clear.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Are the covers on the oil pan? I haven't drop it yet.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i took the bellhousing off my t56 to line up my oil pan. I wouldnt just trust the bolts going into the front and rear covers as there is enough wiggle room.... besides all the bolts that go into the block would do the same thing anyways.

the alignment is critical because when you tighten the bellhousing bolts.. You better make sure the pan is flush against the bellhousing or when you torque the bolts your going to break the pan.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

Im trying to do it with the trans still connected.. is there any write ups on this
Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
those canned air used for computer dusting with their straws are great for this. just make sure you wear glasses. nothing like a little coolant in the eyes
I found that they're almost good enough...but you have to turn those cans to funny angles to blow into the holes, which makes them freeze and they stop helping you clean the holes.

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Make sure bolt holes are clean of old sealant and coolant...when I did my head swap I heard a lot of scary creeks and pops when I was torquing bolts, must be normal since you are STrETCHInG the bolts....the arp thread chaser works best to clean threads
I've never heard a single noise from any of the heads I've done.

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
flippin camaro? wasnt the cars fault

i remember on my first head swap in the car i took tons of time blowing the holes out and even stuffing paper towels down into the holes to make sure there is no coolant.. however when i started tightening the bolts some of them i could feel getting spongy with a couple threads left. Pulled them out and there was still a tiny bit of coolant. You need to go slow and have a feel for it.

Also depending on where it cracked you may be able to use it still.. if it doesnt leak outside the block and doesnt leak into a oil galley you could probably throw some sealant on the bolt and it MIGHT actually be alright.
After using the canned air mentioned above, I take full size paper towel sheets, and tear them into quarters...then I roll those up tightly so that when I put them in the holes in the block I can feel them hit bottom. I then let them sit in there for a few minutes, spin them around a few times, and pull them out. If any of them come out with water, I repeat on those threaded holes.

Originally Posted by Darkman
You may, or may not have a problem. It is not uncommon, perhaps even normal, to hear popping when torquing the head bolts. It is particularly likely when using ARP head bolts. As others have said however, if there is residual coolant at the bottom of the holes you can crack the block. Unless there is a lot of residual coolant you would not hear that pop until the last few threads. Finally, having the coolant drain quickly from the holes is not conclusive evidence that you have cracked the block because there are instances in which the head bolt holes can intersect with holes drilled horizonally from the back of the block.

See also:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...blem-help.html
I don't think it's normal at all...using ARP or anything else. I have done head studs, GM head bolts, and ARP head bolts (many many sets of each)...in fact, I just did my LS3 heads today. It's very important to follow ARP's instructions thoroughly...ARP moly lube under the head of the bolt, on the threads of the bolt, and on both sides of the washer...and the washer MUST have the side with the chamfer facing the head of the bolt.

A lot of people are also not good at making sure the head is fully seated over the dowels too...those dowels should be replaced as they're so easy to deform when you pulled the heads off...if they're not allowing the head to seat on the block really well, then there will be noises when torquing the bolts.

Originally Posted by mpatton
Put it back together and let us know how it works. All my head swaps have had small pops and never had a hiccup.
Please be more thorough cleaning your head bolt holes...I've never heard any noise at all when bolting down heads any of the times I have.

Quick Reply: head bolt pop sound