Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking rod bearings.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking rod bearings.

Got my arp rod bolts and instructions say to only undo/replace one bolt at a time so it doesn't mess anything up. I'd like to check the rod bearings while I have the pan off. Is it ok to pull the caps off, check the bearings then reassemble with the new bolts if everything checks ok? Just want to make sure everything ends up ok.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Once you remove the rod bearings, you should replace them as they will never go back to exactly where they were. Combine that with adding stronger rod bolts and you could have some very serious problems in the future.

As long as the oil pressure is good and there are no odd noises, I would just do what arp says.

I personally, when I change rod bolts, like to completely disassemble the engine and have the rods resized. You Will get mixed opinions on this but this is what I believe.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is my understanding that on a cracked cap rod that LS motors utilize as soon as the cap is removed than they need to be resized which is why they recommend just replacing one at a time. I had this conversation with a gentleman from katech and he said not to completely remove the cap when changing rod bolts and that was his reasoning.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agreed and agreed
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That works for the Katech rod bolts but with the ARP's even if ARP says 1 at a time will work fine ,,,,,bottom line is the ARP bolts put more clamping force on the caps and they do distort the big end a little ,,,,,,,,,,will it be a problem ,,,,,, sometimes yes and sometimes no ,,,,,,,but to know You're good to go for sure ,,,,,,,the rods need to be honed out .002" with the ARP's torqued in place and You use either the clevites just for that process that are .002" larger outer diameter and standard size inner diameter or Federal Mogules which make LS based rod bearings .002" larger outer diam in standard and various undersized inner diam . At the same time that is torqueing them properly with a stretch gauge which usually ends up tightening them to at least 55-60 lbs. so if You did 1 at a time and torqued them to 45 lbs. probably 9 out of 10 times it'll work ,,,,,,,,,but torqueing them to that I would'nt push the rpm's past 6000 . That's as clearly as I can state it
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree totally.