Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freshen and cam on the cheap 98 ls1/4L60 in a Vega

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Freshen and cam on the cheap 98 ls1/4L60 in a Vega

My buddy and I are putting together a super low budget LS1 powered 73 Vega wagon.
We are planning on loosely following the path that Jeff Schwartz took with his Flying Turd Vega a few years back. We picked up a completely stock 98 LS1 and 4L60 out of a Camaro with 105K miles. Complete with all the driven accessories and the computer(s)
We are planning resealing the engine and upgrading the stock trunion rockers, valve springs and push rods, changing the oil pump o-ring? and replacing the timing chain so we figured we’d pork a cam in it……but we don’t want to swap the torque converter. We want to keep this project as cheap as possible
Since we are on the cheap: We do plan to remove the EGR ,but don’t plan on changing to an LS6 intake. Going to run the trailblazer exhaust manifolds.

We plan to autocross and take it on a roadcoarse or two. Probably the drag strip, but quarter mile is NOT the main reason for the build. We won’t NEED a ton of power.
Going to run an 8.5 inch 10 bolt rear out of an Xtreme blazer with a 3.23 gear. Exhaust out the back.

I’ve assemble probably 20 big block chevys (as in assemble & check everything myself including cylinder head assembly) oddly enough, haven’t had a roller cam yet… but most importantly this is my first LS and I have LOTS to learn.

I’ve been reading several threads, I know this 98 is the oddball with the perimeter valve cover bolts. Most of the threads I read regarding cams are guys with stick shifts and are not concerned with the idle.
Thought about the LS6 cam but that just helps with power higher up right? Thinking about the TPS 220R

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1145-te...-camshaft.aspx
Not concerned with intimidating anyone with the “sound” of the cam. Just want a little better performance.

Obviously no catalysts and we will have the computer reprogrammed.
The autocross courses we usually hit are pretty tight, so there’s a ton of times you nearly stop the vehicle, turn and hit the gas, so a smooth low end is essential.

Any input would be just great.
Thanks a ton!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 98 z28 with ls6 top end and a comp 224/230 xer273 cam...it gave up no power at all down low compared to the stock cam and it pulls hard all the up to 6700 rpm...it was the biggest cam I could get without having to sacrifice low rpm torque...

Quick Reply: Freshen and cam on the cheap 98 ls1/4L60 in a Vega