Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spinning motor over 8K rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
reciprocating mass. i understand the theory but with larger pistons and crank shouldn't strength increase with the size. therefore allowing you to spin the larger motor at the same rpm as the smaller motor?
You have a lot to learn. But just because internal parts are stronger doesnt necessarily make them stronger at any RPM. Pro Mod engines are by far the highest revving chevy motors but they are expensive (parts, tuning, fuel, oiling, ect) but they dont last no where near as long as street cars. There is no replacement for displacement. Those big blocks that rev like Formula 1 engines are so much money it’ll make your thought process broke. IIRC there was a 433ci LSX built by Sams racing that revved to 9000+ no problem that made over 1000 FLY WHEEL HORSE POWER N/A meaning Naturally Aspirated, No power adders, just pure cam, heads, intake on race gas. It was around 15:1 compression. That is a motor that would never see a day on the street. Not to mention its hell of a lot more expensive than a Twin Turbo 433ci LSX that makes 1000hp at only 6000rpms that is street-able, daily drive-able, while getting 20mpg. Hope this wasnt too technical for you.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
You have a lot to learn. But just because internal parts are stronger doesnt necessarily make them stronger at any RPM. Pro Mod engines are by far the highest revving chevy motors but they are expensive (parts, tuning, fuel, oiling, ect) but they dont last no where near as long as street cars. There is no replacement for displacement. Those big blocks that rev like Formula 1 engines are so much money it’ll make your thought process broke. IIRC there was a 433ci LSX built by Sams racing that revved to 9000+ no problem that made over 1000 FLY WHEEL HORSE POWER N/A meaning Naturally Aspirated, No power adders, just pure cam, heads, intake on race gas. It was around 15:1 compression. That is a motor that would never see a day on the street. Not to mention its hell of a lot more expensive than a Twin Turbo 433ci LSX that makes 1000hp at only 6000rpms that is street-able, daily drive-able, while getting 20mpg. Hope this wasnt too technical for you.

I treated your post like my wife and ignored it. This thread way dead and put away a long time ago.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

I treated your post like my wife and ignored it. This thread way dead and put away a long time ago.
Hi 3rdCoastPowerSports,

Where did you ended with your "Spinning motor over 8K rpm" question?

Some interesting conclusion you came with since the 18 months you asked?

Did you learn anything educative you would add to this thread?

Some information interesting for the community here you can share with your fellow members?

Did you made yourself a V8 GM spinning above 8k rpm (or 9K ++ rpm)?

Christian
Old 09-11-2013, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is dead like it has been pointed why do people keep trying to revive it? to end this discussion once and for all an LS can easily do 8k with lots of money but it is only practical in a wild drag car or super light road racer. Callies makes a 3.15 stroke crankshaft stick it in an LS3 block for a 327ci and put some solid roller lifters with a wild solid roller camshaft and some small bore LS7 heads, 245cc cathedral heads, or even some nice LS3 heads and you can spin 8k no problem.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
This thread is dead like it has been pointed why do people keep trying to revive it? to end this discussion once and for all an LS can easily do 8k with lots of money but it is only practical in a wild drag car or super light road racer. Callies makes a 3.15 stroke crankshaft stick it in an LS3 block for a 327ci and put some solid roller lifters with a wild solid roller camshaft and some small bore LS7 heads, 245cc cathedral heads, or even some nice LS3 heads and you can spin 8k no problem.
Hi TurbopigB4C,

Are you still using the GM PCM for the build you are describing?

BTW, my question in post #23 was directed to the OP 3rdCoastPowerSports...

Anyway, thanks for joining the thread and kipping it active!
Christian
Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The GM PCM would likely be fine but you would want to call some of the high end engine builder sponsors to verify. I wouldn't even consider a c5 Z06 light enough though for a build like that. It would be best suited to something like a track prepped FD, FC, MX-5, AE-86 or s13, 14, or 15 chassis.

Last edited by TurbopigB4C; 09-11-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bartmanC5
There's a guy over on CorvetteForum that took this route. His name is RobZ, and I remember seeing a couple Youtube videos. If I remember correctly, he had a 427 block that was destroked to 388 with a $$ valvetrain, but redlined at 9000 rpm. Sounds pretty sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaxE6dsfb_o
Book marked!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah and thats the reason why you missed the fact that there were a few posters on this thread that posted yesterday. Did you not read that or did you ignore that as well? Hopefully you learned in the last year and a half, instead of ignoring the good information. Next time pay your wife attention also or she’ll be cheating on you. I wouldnt want you posting a thread on how to win her back.. Not trying to be an *******, im just saying.

But im a big fan of high revving motors. Just some dont realize the cost of 8500rpms vs a stroker with 7000rpm making the same power. In the end its all how big your budget is.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can spin a stock bottom end LS to 8k, I've done it a few times in my GTO when it had a Vic Jr on it. Now it won't last for ever, but not sure of your goals and believe the limit is 9k rpm on the stock PCM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock PCM is 8K. The VE and Timing tables stop at 8k.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Exidous
OLSD is the only option I guess as PE table stops before that...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Exidous
^^^^^^^^This is what I've been told as well from 2 different tuners

Quick Reply: spinning motor over 8K rpm?