Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR heads = need different piston design?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Tony M, did you have a response regarding high compression flattops, what would work? I am getting bombarded by folks asking me this. Any generalizations to share?

I'm working with a major piston manufacturer right now on some high compression LS1/AFR specific slugs...

Ed
Old 03-27-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Ed, allow me....(You owe me one now)

The combustion chamber design of the new AFR heads is definately different than stock. There is less "dead space" behind the valves which makes for a much more efficient chamber and creates a "double quench pad" as well.

With most LS based configurations running flat top or dished pistons anyway, its really not an issue at all, however, if you are trying to build a max effort high compression motor and needed a small dome on the piston, it would definately be a situation where a custom piston would have to be made. I'm sure in the next few months we will have the oppurtunity to get a casting out to the larger piston manufacturers so they can digitize the chamber and make the appropriate dome configurations. Don't forget, you can always run the flat top and mill the chamber volume lower for the additional compression as well.

Hope this helps you out...

Tony M.

PS Another big plus to our chamber design is the fact that an AFR headed motor would have about .030 additional piston to valve clearance compared to a stock cylinder head at the same chamber volume. (NOT A WELDED STOCKER!)
I PM'd you. Thanks.