Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decide on Heads or Cam First?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garygnu
whats your bore size ?if you have a stock ls1 don't get stage 3 heads.the intake valve is too big and will be too close the cylinder wall.whats your budget ?also look at a vengeance racing head/cam combo.EPS has a good cam for trick flow 220 heads.what intake will you be using ?
Stock block. Budget as far as entire setup or just heads? Heads probably max $1600. Intake will be an LS6 for awhile. Then possibly upgrading to a FAST 90 or 92
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egott_91
I rarely race the car. It sees may 2-4 track passes a year. It's mostly a nice day/weekend warrior, so yeah the stress on the tranny would be more with an aftermarket stall, but I don't think the tranny is going to go out from a few passes if any a year and just cruising around especially with only 55k miles currently on it. But I will take that into consideration.
Well I can tell you that if you go with a cam that you have to spin the motor above 6400-6500 very often that stock 4l60E won't last long and street driving is where most of them get torn up. Sounds like you aren't really 100% sure what you want right now as you stated you were going with Fast , but now maybe not. If you are on a budget , I would figure out what your total budget is and then come up with a plan based on that. I can tell you that to run anywhere in the 11's don't waste your $$ on a Fast intake as you can run 10's with the LS6 intake. Spend your $$ on a good set of heads like they recommended from AI and small-med cam with supporting bolt on mods and start saving for a tranny because 90% of people will have to end up building it. Good luck
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
Well I can tell you that if you go with a cam that you have to spin the motor above 6400-6500 very often that stock 4l60E won't last long and street driving is where most of them get torn up. Sounds like you aren't really 100% sure what you want right now as you stated you were going with Fast , but now maybe not. If you are on a budget , I would figure out what your total budget is and then come up with a plan based on that. I can tell you that to run anywhere in the 11's don't waste your $$ on a Fast intake as you can run 10's with the LS6 intake. Spend your $$ on a good set of heads like they recommended from AI and small-med cam with supporting bolt on mods and start saving for a tranny because 90% of people will have to end up building it. Good luck
I had never mentioned anything about a FAST intake until my last post how I'll be running an LS6 intake for awhile then MAYBE upgrading to a FAST, but more than likely not.

As far as what I want...I want a car that is going to have a broad power range. I want lower to middle range power, I don't want anything like an MS4 that doesn't peak till 6800. I want a car that will have good street manners but will still put down good power and run good at the track if I go. The car rarely gets driven as its a nice day/weekend car. Most trips aren't around town, they're more highway driving with some around town since my GF lives 35 miles away. I don't need/want a huge cam that won't do well on the street and won't produce good power until 7k.

Quick Reply: Decide on Heads or Cam First?