Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: 376ci Iron Block

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
IIRC you once mentioned to me about how you were less than thrilled at the retainer fit on the top of the spring.
Sucks to hear of such bad luck man
I'm looking at it as an opportunity to upgrade. I already picked up another 6.0L block and dropped a check for a new rotating assembly. New build will be a forged 370 with TFS heads and nitrous.

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Go Tooley platinum springs!
Yes, I had to learn the hard way I guess. I think it's dual springs for me from here on out.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Lol, they've been asking questions like what was installed height, coil bind, etc. Haven't heard back since Friday.

I really don't know what caused this, this is the first time a spring has broken on me so I'm really eager to find out why it happened. If it's something I did, I want know what it was so I can avoid doing it. If it's on Comp's end, I probably will stay away from Comp springs. I hope I can send it back to them to let them look at it and see what happened. If not, I might send it to a lab to get looked at and then I'll post results.
Did they ask if you used a New engine??? Because I have a feeling it has to do with the micro spores that have yet to be identified...

On a serious note, Were you able to answer most if not all there questions? I hate to say it, but I have a feeling it was just a bad spring.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Did they ask if you used a New engine??? Because I have a feeling it has to do with the micro spores that have yet to be identified...

On a serious note, Were you able to answer most if not all there questions? I hate to say it, but I have a feeling it was just a bad spring.
Hahaha, yeah this engine can never be used again. Damn micro spores and fungi infected the engine now.

They just asked basic questions like how much lift, what was the installed height, etc. All stuff I had measured and had kept record of. I even have pictures from when I measured everything. This is the first spring that's ever broken on me and having broken with so few miles, I would not be surprised if the spring was the issue, but I'll take the blame if its something I did that I can avoid in the future.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Hahaha, yeah this engine can never be used again. Damn micro spores and fungi infected the engine now.

They just asked basic questions like how much lift, what was the installed height, etc. All stuff I had measured and had kept record of. I even have pictures from when I measured everything. This is the first spring that's ever broken on me and having broken with so few miles, I would not be surprised if the spring was the issue, but I'll take the blame if its something I did that I can avoid in the future.
It's probally because you didn't use a clean room to assemble it... I am sure the Micro spores and Fungi that got in because you didn't use a brand new hermetically sealed engine and attacked the spring and weakened it.

But as long as you thoroughly washed the old cam in your front yard, you should be good to go.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's probally because you didn't use a clean room to assemble it... I am sure the Micro spores and Fungi that got in because you didn't use a brand new hermetically sealed engine and attacked the spring and weakened it.

But as long as you thoroughly washed the old cam in your front yard, you should be good to go.
I too understand this reference.

And it's hilarious.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are killing me FastBrick! Where is that guy with all the answers when you need him.

KCS, I too think it was the spores. LOL
Old 12-13-2018, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Part 3: Assembling the Shortblock

The first step to assemble the shortblock is installing the camshaft. With the Durabond CH-23 cam bearings installed, it was found that there was as little as .0005” clearance in some bearing bores. In my experience, I’ve found this to be fairly common and will usually cause a tight fit when the cam is installed. If left alone, it will cause excess friction and can even spin bearings. To fix it, I went to a local crank grinder and had the camshaft journals ground and polished to achieve .003” clearance on all 5 journals. With the cam in and spinning freely, I could move on to the crank.

ACL Race bearings were again used in the main bores, with a combination of STD and X sizes to achieve .0023-.0025” bearing clearance. After a thorough final cleaning, the crankshaft was lowered in and lubed with 10w30 motor oil, the caps were installed, and after setting the thrust, the OEM main bolts were torqued to spec. The N-Motion billet single roller timing set went on next with ARP bolts, and set at 0 so there was no additional advance or retard in the cam timing. With the #1 rod and piston was installed, I found TDC and continued on to degree in the camshaft. Interestingly enough, what was supposed to be an old MTI V1 grind, turned out to be a single pattern 235°/235° duration cam…

To finish off the shortblock, a Melling M10296 oil pump was installed with the blue spring, new LS7 lifters, and after all of the covers and oil pan went on, a Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley was installed with an ARP crank bolt torqued to 240ft-lbs.

did you balance your 6.0 crank for the 6.2 pistons? Just out of curiosity
Old 12-14-2018, 06:22 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by Lsandlteditor
did you balance your 6.0 crank for the 6.2 pistons? Just out of curiosity
Yes I did.

Quick Reply: Build Thread: 376ci Iron Block