Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing oil leaks(pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chasing oil leaks(pics inside)

Currently in the process of chasing down some oil leaks on this bolt on T/A. I have the trans out for replacement and figured i'd get a better look at it while it's out. We did an LS6 intake swap probably 20k miles ago. I want to say not too long after it started leaving some drops on the ground. It was all around the trans/engine area. It appears a very light amount under rear main seal/rear engine cover. Most is going down the sides of the engine. Oil pressure sender is tight/dry i have had a good look at it. As you can see it's all over the harness and rear pcv oil lines i believe? Oil pan gasket needs replacement as well. How involved is that one. Engine still in car obviously, does it need to come off the mounts to do? What do you guys think? I don't think i want to do rear main seal or rear engine cover seal because i don't think that is the main leak and appears to just be seeping.

The car has seen 100+ passes at the track and after countless low 1.5 60' foots and high 1.4s the stock 100k auto trans finally went kaboom. 10 bolt still going strong! Found a broken energy suspension torque arm mount as well. I'm thinking a catch can will be a good install, i'm wondering if it's seeing some blow by and contributing to some of the leaks. Pretty much every seal on the motor is seeping some.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would pull the intake manifold and check the galley cover and knock sensor seals. Change the rear main cover / seal. Also look around the cam position sensor for oil as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PCV lines meet at a plastic Y shaped piece near the back of the manifold. If that cracks it makes a mess. Might be a good idea to just replace those PCV lines, I did.