Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 GM's 6.0L head issue!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool LQ4 GM's 6.0L head issue!

I have several of these trucks as my company trucks. One specific one I've used privately to drive around just because it has the big tires, suspension, exhaust, etc. A few months ago it developed a nasty exhaust leak. I though the exhaust shop that installed the cat back system on it may have over flexed a pipe and cracked but to me surprise it wasn't. GM decided to buy cheep China bolts and I saw that two bolts on my driver side exhaust manifold have snapped off.

I know replacing these bolts will rape my wallet so I figured I'd buy some KY and make it a "UPGRADE". Instead of just fixing and replacing the bolt I was gona order a set of after market heads and bolt them on as a power adder. What do you guys think?

It's on a truck a Crew Cab K2500HD 6.0L truck with (LQ4 motor). I don't want to sacrifice too much TQ on the swap but what head work should I go with. Port/polish a set of stockers and maybe do a intake swap as well or just go with a after market heads?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just slap a set of 243's on it, use new hardware, get it tuned and call it a day. While you are in there you might as well throw a cam at it too.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The only thing "wrong" with the 317 truck heads is they have a big chamber for low compression. Otherwise the ports are the same as the 243 heads from the cars which have a smaller chamber for compression and are a VERY good place to start porting they have outperformed many aftermarket "performance" heads.

If you really want to spend the coin of aftermarket heads buy some new or rebuilt PORTED 243s and as said get a cam but keep it MILD maybe even a ZO6 cam.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 02 hd lq4 iv got my heads off now waiting to take to the machine shop I would put some 243s on mine if I had the funds but don't use a ease out on them unless your confident it won't break that's one reason my heads r off

Quick Reply: LQ4 GM's 6.0L head issue!