Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good setup for street car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Very much new to this forum and as well as modifying the cars, i recently bought lumina 2003 ss in good condition somehow and i tried to do bit of modifications, i did headers, camshaft vcm 6, air flow i.take and on top of computer tunning, now my car got some power but got really bad shaking on idle, reverse gear my car dies out. the guy did level best to tune to make it atleast soft but it shakes alot and its not comfortable, the old owner changed the dash meter with 2004 lumina s dash meter and also changed the plug wires which is racing but long i lenght i really put lot of money on this so plzzzz help me out on this. I live in dubai and if someone can help me with ths i will deally th
ankful
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know someone that tried the poly trans mount. No to that. Vibrated like crazy. I think he replaced them with new stock ones on the engine and trans. I know for sure the poly trans mount came out and replaced with a stock one about 2 days after the install.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BKsNHRA
I know someone that tried the poly trans mount. No to that. Vibrated like crazy. I think he replaced them with new stock ones on the engine and trans. I know for sure the poly trans mount came out and replaced with a stock one about 2 days after the install.
Ok cool so no poly tranny mount...probably just replace both with stock ones but thought I might atleast do poly motor mounts thanks for the warning.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by faisi19
Hi Guys,

Very much new to this forum and as well as modifying the cars, i recently bought lumina 2003 ss in good condition somehow and i tried to do bit of modifications, i did headers, camshaft vcm 6, air flow i.take and on top of computer tunning, now my car got some power but got really bad shaking on idle, reverse gear my car dies out. the guy did level best to tune to make it atleast soft but it shakes alot and its not comfortable, the old owner changed the dash meter with 2004 lumina s dash meter and also changed the plug wires which is racing but long i lenght i really put lot of money on this so plzzzz help me out on this. I live in dubai and if someone can help me with ths i will deally th
ankful
I'm fairly new as well...start your own thread about it and I'm sure these guys that know why's going on will help you..good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Teching In

@Z28SteveA4--yes I understand completely, the 233/239 is .595/.603, I've been tryin to find the specs for the TV3 but haven't and have been lucky to find out what I know so far.(I'm not so computer smart lol) but how much smaller is the TV3?? And let's say it's .590/.598 just to be under .600 is that much difference anyway?? However, I do need to find out what rpm i would need to ring it up to for the 233/239?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Thought I saw something like 1900 to 6500 for 233/239 .595/603 112lsa??? Been trying to find that statistic but have had no luck.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sammy01ta
What rpm do you shift at?
at the track i shift at 6500-6600 but the cam is still pulling i believe it would pull to 6800-7000 but i still have a stock bottom end so its better safe then sorry lol
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BKsNHRA
if you run a poly trans mount with rubber motor mounts that are worn then yes a polly will vibrate some but if you run poly motor and trans mounts the vibration is very little my car wont even vibrate at all unless i have the cruise set going down the interstate and hit a decent hill it will vibrate a little when it loads the car on a norman day it will never vibrate and i have the security of knowing i will never break a mount i can break a rubber trans mount a week on my car just driving it no sticky tires
Old 03-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Teching In

So then I guess I should give the poly mounts a try. Ok thanks. How do you like your 373 gears? TSP recommended 410's for me but I'm worried that might be to low for street use with the stock 10 bolt(hopefully it makes it one year till I got enough $$ for 12 bolt)
Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

@Z28SteveA4--yes I understand completely, the 233/239 is .595/.603, I've been tryin to find the specs for the TV3 but haven't and have been lucky to find out what I know so far.(I'm not so computer smart lol) but how much smaller is the TV3?? And let's say it's .590/.598 just to be under .600 is that much difference anyway?? However, I do need to find out what rpm i would need to ring it up to for the 233/239?
Personally if the car was a weekend driver i would do either the tv3 or the 233/239 but for a dd those cams are pushing it and i know i mentioned the tv3 but im really just quoting texas speed on that one. Its not really the lift of the cam but its the duration that makes a cam more street friendly, so having high 230's in duration pushes it out of the dd cam and it also puts more strain on your springs. the thing you have going for you is that your a 6 speed car and with 4.10's it will make driving such a big cam more tolerable. And yes go with 4.10's. for the poly mounts everyone complains about the tran mounts. There are plenty of 9 and 10 second ls1 cars that are running stock mounts so theres no need to risk that kind of money on poly mounts. Also do plan on putting a pair of heads on with this cam??
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

@Z28SteveA4- it is mostly a weekend car but still wanna be able to take it on long road trips every once in a while. As far as plans with heads it will be at least two years or so cuz next income tax I plan on getting a solid rear then sometime after that do full suspension then heads would be next. Talked with TSP and talked about smaller cam and he said with this cam I could get 40,000 miles before needing to check springs(I'm getting the top of the line dual springs). So if the guy at tsp is right on that springs won't be an issue for about 8 or 9 years cuz I've had the car since it was brand new in 2001 and I've only put 60,000 miles on it so far. Tsp also said that I wouldn't be going past 6400 to 6500 rpm and the powerband for 233/239 and the tv3 are very similar with just 200 to 300 rpm difference. And my thinking about mounts was while they got it apart upgrade them but since I havent heard anything bad about the stock mounts then guess I will replace them with new stock ones. Is there such a think as mounts in between poly and stock?? You know, just alittle more firm?? Probably a dumb question?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Still haven't decided on monster stage 2 or diamond stage 2 and don't know if I need to get new lifters and rockers. If so then what's the best fit for the cam? Oh and considering 390's rather than 410's due to a thread about 390's being a little stronger in the 10 bolt and some said with 410's first gear is useless on the street? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Ya'll missed the fact he has a 10 bolt behind a T56. bad news!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

4.10s all day long for me, but don't expect the 10 bolt to last. Mine made it 8k miles cam only with 4.10s
Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still haven't decided on monster stage 2 or diamond stage 2 and don't know if I need to get new lifters and rockers. If so then what's the best fit for the cam? Oh and considering 390's rather than 410's due to a thread about 390's being a little stronger in the 10 bolt and some said with 410's first gear is useless on the street? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Either one of the clutches should work fine.
Going with 3.90s would be smarter for the added strength over the 4.10s in the 10 bolt. If youre not pulling the heads dont bother changing lifters as the heads have to come off to get to them. Roller rockers would be ideal, but at minimum stock rockers with the trunion upgrade. I highly recommend poly engine mounts, much better than stock ones, keeps the Y from banging the floor & you wont notice any kind of harshness. I gave my poly trans mount to my brother in law that has a 95 TA & he didnt like it either. Stock trans mount works great once you get the torque arm off the trans.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
Either one of the clutches should work fine.
Going with 3.90s would be smarter for the added strength over the 4.10s in the 10 bolt. If youre not pulling the heads dont bother changing lifters as the heads have to come off to get to them. Roller rockers would be ideal, but at minimum stock rockers with the trunion upgrade. I highly recommend poly engine mounts, much better than stock ones, keeps the Y from banging the floor & you wont notice any kind of harshness. I gave my poly trans mount to my brother in law that has a 95 TA & he didnt like it either. Stock trans mount works great once you get the torque arm off the trans.
Thanks for the much needed info, I will see what I can do about getting new roller rockers and looks like I will go with 390s. I'm new at this so Im not clear on what you mean by "once you get the torque arm off the trans". Does that mean I need to relocate it before doing poly mounts on motor?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the much needed info, I will see what I can do about getting new roller rockers and looks like I will go with 390s. I'm new at this so Im not clear on what you mean by "once you get the torque arm off the trans". Does that mean I need to relocate it before doing poly mounts on motor?
He is referring to either a body mount TA or getting a trans crossmember that has a seperate TA mount on it. When we go WOT on our cars it flexes the TA nose up and is bad about breaking tailshafts at the dragstrip and trans mounts on the street. I would do a relocation before the poly motor mounts (thats what I did). But I also used a poly trans mount and I am quite fond of it.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
He is referring to either a body mount TA or getting a trans crossmember that has a seperate TA mount on it. When we go WOT on our cars it flexes the TA nose up and is bad about breaking tailshafts at the dragstrip and trans mounts on the street. I would do a relocation before the poly motor mounts (thats what I did). But I also used a poly trans mount and I am quite fond of it.
Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna go with the TA relocation mount with stock TA. (unless there is a cheaper way?) where did you get your 9 inch?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

I have a QP nine inch housing, moser axles, and a Nascar thirdmember and driveshaft
Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
I have a QP nine inch housing, moser axles, and a Nascar thirdmember and driveshaft
Did you have any trouble with the QP rear as far as TA room? Is your car lowered? Im ordering a rear very soon and was leaning toward QP but have seen some threads that make the QP rear sound very difficult. Ive gotten prices from QP and MWC (2400 from QP & 3100 from MWC). I know the one from MWC bolts right in and has TA and cross member with no clearance issues even if I lower it 1.25in, but all I've read about the QP is you have issues with TA clearance and it doesn't have all the fixins like brake cable supports.

Quick Reply: Is this a good setup for street car?