Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good setup for street car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammy01ta
Did you have any trouble with the QP rear as far as TA room? yes I did, clearanced with a hammer. Also had trouble with my mufflers (true duals) but a sawsall and a welder fixed that, just had them a little too close Is your car lowered? yes it is loweredIm ordering a rear very soon and was leaning toward QP but have seen some threads that make the QP rear sound very difficult. Ive gotten prices from QP and MWC (2400 from QP & 3100 from MWC). I know the one from MWC bolts right in and has TA and cross member with no clearance issues even if I lower it 1.25in, but all I've read about the QP is you have issues with TA clearance and it doesn't have all the fixins like brake cable supports.
that is correct. The QP is a little more rugged. If you have a welder youll be fine. The MWC is by far the best drop in deal. If you have an aftermarket TA though (like me) you hate to get rid of it of course. I had a budget build in mind and only have 1800$ in my whole setup, 4 inch driveshaft included so the QP was by far great for me. If you dont have a line on a cheap third member though the MWC is great to just basically bolt in and done
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
that is correct. The QP is a little more rugged. If you have a welder youll be fine. The MWC is by far the best drop in deal. If you have an aftermarket TA though (like me) you hate to get rid of it of course. I had a budget build in mind and only have 1800$ in my whole setup, 4 inch driveshaft included so the QP was by far great for me. If you dont have a line on a cheap third member though the MWC is great to just basically bolt in and done
Thanks for the info. I don't have an aftermarket TA or anything as far as suspension goes and don't have the tools to make the QP fit and don't really want to cut or hammer anything on the car. But this MWC is gonna hammer the wallet! If I lower the car 1.25inches are my 315 rear tires gonna hit the fender lip???
Old 04-11-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info. I don't have an aftermarket TA or anything as far as suspension goes and don't have the tools to make the QP fit and don't really want to cut or hammer anything on the car. But this MWC is gonna hammer the wallet! If I lower the car 1.25inches are my 315 rear tires gonna hit the fender lip???
I bought mine lowered and got a factory length rear. My 315s fit just fine but thats with my wheels and backspacing. The things the QP does not have it the torque arm just the mount, brake line mount in the center (fabbed mine with what I cut off of the ebrake and brake line mount on the LCA mounts), Ebrake cable mounts in the center, and if youre lowered you may have to woller out the shock mount holes and the TA mount will hit the floor pan (only once though lol). Its really not a bad rear, just doesn't have all the amenities. In my case It was exactly what I needed. Since using the lower LCA mounts on 315s my car hooks up ten times better than the factory location lowered.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

One last thing. The hardware supplied to fit the factory brake backing plates was too short and I was (still am) unhappy with those. But that is the only thing I really dislike. The rest worked well.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

one last thing. My traction control quit working a long time ago so the lack of reluctor rings didnt bother my on my setup but youll have to get axles with rings to keep your 4 channel abs if you do so
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Teching In

Sorry I'm new at most of this, what is backspacing?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

distance from the outer lip of the inside of the rim to the mounting flange.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe this will help. My rear tires are basically flush with the body of the car. They don't sink into the fenders when you look down the side. I just have the bumpstops setup to stop the rear suspension travel about 1/8th of an inch before the tire hits. Bottoms out on occasion when I really have to hit a bump hard but unless im put in a bad spot or something by traffic its very manageable and I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run a Ms4 cam on Tfs 215's its my DD.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Maybe this will help. My rear tires are basically flush with the body of the car. They don't sink into the fenders when you look down the side. I just have the bumpstops setup to stop the rear suspension travel about 1/8th of an inch before the tire hits. Bottoms out on occasion when I really have to hit a bump hard but unless im put in a bad spot or something by traffic its very manageable and I wouldn't change a thing.
Ok cool, I really appreciate all your help man. I have the same rims as you only mine have silver centers so did you special order the backspacing? And what did you do to get your bump stops to stop it 1/8 before hitting? Do your bump stops hit the side wall of your tires when you lift the car up by the body because mine do
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Ok cool, I really appreciate all your help man. I have the same rims as you only mine have silver centers so did you special order the backspacing? nope I bought the car with those wheels And what did you do to get your bump stops to stop it 1/8 before hitting?the strano kit the car came with has bump stop spacers to make them lower. Its about a 1/2 inch block of aluminum Do your bump stops hit the side wall of your tires when you lift the car up by the body because mine dono they dont, but to be honest im not even sure if its close. I got lucky because the last guy did all the hard stuff for me
I will measure the wheel though the next time I have them off if you would like though. I feel like you dont have the same backspacing as I do if yours are hitting
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I will measure the wheel though the next time I have them off if you would like though. I feel like you dont have the same backspacing as I do if yours are hitting
I'll be knee deep in this build before you measure so don't worry about it. My bumpers just slide against the side wall only when the rear is sagging when car is lifted by the body no issues when its on the ground but that must mean your rim is different from lip to center then mine. Well, looks like I'm ordering the MWC 9 tomorrow, hopefully I don't have any issues when I drop it in the future! Do you think the rear of my car will sit higher after rear is installed with stock springs & shocks?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

mine is just a tad higher in the rear with the QP due to thicker flanges, mounts, and welds. Nothing drastic though
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Well, ended up ordering a moser M9 yesterday and Bob at brute speed was very helpful. Hopefully it will have plenty of clearance to lower it 1.25 inches. Don't want the back tires to hit the fender either but if it does I'm guessing I can add some spacers to the bump stops? I hear I can lower it with just springs an keep stock shocks, hope that's right cuz I don't know anything about suspension.

Quick Reply: Is this a good setup for street car?