Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 vs 5.3?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes for sure look 4 a reputable junk yard ,,,,,,,,,,,,,but honestly most junk yard owners want 2 see their customers end up with reliable parts as that usually brings them back 4 other parts ,,,,,,,,etc . Go talk 2 a few owners/workers and You can usually tell how honest they are just by spending a few minutes at their facility , and buy an engine with the lowest mileage You can 4 the coin You've got 2 spend and You'll be fine . These engines even when not taken very well care of will still be pretty tight pushing 100k miles , and yes compression # are a pretty good way of seeing condition without seeing inside the engine . Also I've found at least in Phx, Az that there are quite a few smaller junk yards that are willing to give really good deals to get business ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I mean somewhere around 60% comparatively speaking and will still offer the same warranty . Probably the best advice concerning engines is if in doubt at all to it's condition if You can at all possible start the engine before You install it so if by some chance it has a problem then it's pretty easy and quick to take it back and/or exchange it . Good luck
Old 04-14-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Yes for sure look 4 a reputable junk yard ,,,,,,,,,,,,,but honestly most junk yard owners want 2 see their customers end up with reliable parts as that usually brings them back 4 other parts ,,,,,,,,etc . Go talk 2 a few owners/workers and You can usually tell how honest they are just by spending a few minutes at their facility , and buy an engine with the lowest mileage You can 4 the coin You've got 2 spend and You'll be fine . These engines even when not taken very well care of will still be pretty tight pushing 100k miles , and yes compression # are a pretty good way of seeing condition without seeing inside the engine . Also I've found at least in Phx, Az that there are quite a few smaller junk yards that are willing to give really good deals to get business ,,,,,,,,,,,,,I mean somewhere around 60% comparatively speaking and will still offer the same warranty . Probably the best advice concerning engines is if in doubt at all to it's condition if You can at all possible start the engine before You install it so if by some chance it has a problem then it's pretty easy and quick to take it back and/or exchange it . Good luck
I have said for the longest time that we should have a buyer feed back for salvage yards , this would take a lot of the guess work out of buying.Some are good, some are better and some are real bad.The good the bad and the ugly.Some knowingly misrepresent what they sell and dont care if you ever come back.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know what you're searching to bump all these random old threads.

But with a join date of July 2015 and lots of random old thread bumps it appears you are trying to hit enough posts to post in the classifieds.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I don't know what you're searching to bump all these random old threads.

But with a join date of July 2015 and lots of random old thread bumps it appears you are trying to hit enough posts to post in the classifieds.
Looking at his first post he just joined yesterday afternoon and has already racked up 50+ posts, so Id have to agree with you
Old 07-08-2015, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alowerlevel
Looking at his first post he just joined yesterday afternoon and has already racked up 50+ posts, so Id have to agree with you

Looks like the admins cleaned it up...he had short pointless replies in threads of nearly every section of the site lol

Quick Reply: 4.8 vs 5.3?!?