Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor break-in

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
why don't you get a base mail order tune. all i know is it would suck if it went lean and cost you a motor. personally i would wait to start it till the tune or at the very least a base tune? just my opinion don't bash me for it
this is what i was thinking. i would get it tuned first
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive heard so many different things about this too. The guy who put my 383 short block together says he normally puts "break in" oil in for the first start up, lets it get up to running temp, turns off, changes the oil to whatever (synthetic or regular) and then throws it on the dyno...
What do you guys think about what it says here?
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...d/viewall.html
Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious too! People break in engines on the stands all the time, why do you need to "drive it" to break it in? You should be able to do it all on a stand?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

How does GM do it??
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I'm curious too! People break in engines on the stands all the time, why do you need to "drive it" to break it in? You should be able to do it all on a stand?
Likely a HELL of a lot easier to do it in a car vs doing it on a stand (no load on a stand, lines for everything, plus open headers = deafening), unless you have access to an actual engine dyno (not a car roller dyno) you can hook it up to and run it through its paces. Still would be a PINA IMO, would rather drop it in the car and go.

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
How does GM do it??
If im not mistaken with LS1's they just assemble them and go (and list in the manual something about having the owner lightly driving to break it in up to 1000 miles).
I know with Corvette's the technicians put the car on rollers and drive up to 70mph to make sure everything is right, doubt Fbody's got that treatment though.
Could be different with every manufacturer or engine.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ive heard so many different things about this too. The guy who put my 383 short block together says he normally puts "break in" oil in for the first start up, lets it get up to running temp, turns off, changes the oil to whatever (synthetic or regular) and then throws it on the dyno...
What do you guys think about what it says here?
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...d/viewall.html
quoting myself here about this article, do when do you guys think the car should be dyno tuned? After break in? (1500 miles according to this)
Or maybe just when the rings are seated? (by doing a compression check on each cylinder)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put mine on the dyno after 50 miles. First start I let it warm up to operating temp. Brought it up to 5,500 miles 3 times for about 6-10 seconds. Changed oil, went on drive by keeping it in lower gears and bringing up rpms close to redline at about 1/2 throttle. changed oil, drove it a couple more times like I just mentioned, and let it sit for a week until I went to the dyno.