Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Actually want a smallish cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Actually want a smallish cam

I know most people are trying to go bigger, but I'm trying to stay below 350...actually a stock cam that is about 300hp but with tuning/etc get more.

The reason: I'm building (actually the shop is) a '65 Corvair with an LS4. I'm mating it to a 6 speed porsche trans with a 3.9:1 first gear. Also, the car 'might' weigh 3000 lbs when finished. The Porsche the trans came out of has roughly the same weight, and 320 HP, and close to same tire height. I'm afraid if I get too high in HP, I won't be able to use first gear. Would be nice to maintain some MPG too.

So...the LS4 (5.3L)....I want to get rid of the DOD cam, not a fan of the lifters really. Stock HP is around 300HP. Plan on changing the valve springs too. I don't see the point of buying a pricey aftermarket cam when I can buy a good used stock cam. FYI, I used the LS4 because it's several inches shorter (mostly in the water pump) than the LS1 combo. Every inch was needed.

With that said, can anyone recommend (or maybe have a cheap/free) stock cam thats on the lower end I need? Not sure a truck cam would work because of higher torque rating. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HP won't kill the tranny, torque will....are you looking to hear the cam with a choppy idle, or stockish sound? If you were to go with a slightly larger cam it might actually be easier on your tranny.

Another option you might look into that s lot of the 914 guys are doing is taking a Subaru tranny and getting a blockoff plate made for the rear output. These can handle massive abuse.

Where are you located? I'm on the Maryland/ PA border just out of Hagerstown MD/ Chambersburg PA. I have an extra 914 tranny, and a tranny/ 1.8l combo if you know anyone that is interested.