Sponsored by:

Mid/low 12's Daily Driver question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid/low 12's Daily Driver question

Hey guys.

Been awhile since I've been on here. I sold my '99 SS about two years ago now and am finally looking at getting back into a 4th gen F body. I'm currently in Afghanistan, but my tour is over in less than 3 months. That being said, I have somebody looking at a car for me back home as we speak.

The car is an '01 Firebird Formula, pewter. Only 30k miles and the guy is asking $10k for it. Needless to say, I am going to try to ****** this up.

Im looking to make this a consistant mid 12 car. I will be driving the car daily.

My current plans are as follow : TSP 1 3/4 stainless headers, TSP catted Y, SLP LMI catback, ported TB, and tune by Speed Inc. Also will be lowering the car on all 4 corners with QA1 single adjustable shocks and BMR lowering springs. Also plan on doing full rear suspension, everything BMR. LCA, subframe connectors, sway bar, etc.

I was curious as to whether or no you guys think I will be at my goal with the mods listed? I was thinking that should probably get a stall as well. Most likely will go with the Yank SS3200.

I know my 12 bolt will be hurtin for certain, so a Moser 12 bolt is also in the plans.

All of these mods, except for the 12 bolt, will be done within a month of my return to the states. The funds for the 12 bolt should be there within 4 months.

Again, what does everyone think as far as reaching my goal with said mods?

I apologize if this question has already been asked, as I'm sure it has. Unfortunately my internet connection out here is incredibly slow and the search feature will not load.

I appreciate everyones help in advance!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to see the suspension listed in planned mods! With a 3,600 stall and your plans for suspension you might be very very low 12's with a good set of sticky tires. I daily drove my 04 GTO with a 4,000 stall with no problems at all.....remember, a tranny cooler is a must for a stalled auto.

Thank you for your service man, keep your head down and come back safe!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw a little cam in there and I'd go 3600 stall(FTI or Yank) and you're there all day long as long as you're not at some track up in the clouds. Traction needs to be factored in.

Edit: Also, I appreciate you serving our Country.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Ippreciate the expediant replies guys..

As far as the cam, I am going to stick without one right now.

Yes I plan on a trans cooler without a doubt. Most likely the B&M unit. Unless there are better ones out there?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for a little encouragement, a friend of mind had a '98 Z28 and only mods were Vigilante 3600, cut holes in the stock air lid with K&N stock replacement filter, TB coolant bypass(for what ever that was worth) and Nitto drag radials. That was it. Ran 12.80's. Stock gear, exhaust, cam. It dead hooked though. He did screw with the front struts for better transfer but, I don't think he spent money there.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

on tires that wouldn't hook i had everything in my sig except the cam. and would do 12.9 all day long but i could never get the car to hook on the street tires i had any bit of traction will help tremendously
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

I'm planning on buying a second set of stock rear wheels and have ET Streets mounted on them for the track.

I am going to wait on the stall. Right away will be full exhaust, TB, lid, tune, suspension, and track tires/wheels.

Do you guys think I can hit my goal of 12.5 without a stall?

Also, when I used to be a frequent visitor on here, I had my TB ported by a member named, I believe Ghost. Do you guys still know if he is doing porting services? Does somebody else?
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

Just noticed I should have put this in the external engine forum. My apologies. MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE