Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 5.3 Build..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Starkey
Alright fellas.. here is the reason why I am staying with a stock camshaft.

1. Drivability. I'm sure any other camshaft would work wonders in front of an automatic transmission, but towing a trailer with a lumpy camshaft with a manual transmission is a pain. Not only is it rough at low rpms, it's harder on the clutch. I'm sure I could have paid somebody to tune the engine and get it close to stock idle, but I didn't want to go that route.

2. Cost. Yeah, I said it, COST. I don't make a pile of money, nor do I like to put unnecessary items on a credit card. I researched and saved the amount of money I needed for my desired engine build, plus a multiplier of 1.3. Any money that I didn't use went directly to my money market account. I don't need an engine with gobs of torque. If I were wanting that, I would have built a 6.0 and dropped a NV4500 5 speed behind it, but again, I'm on a budget.

3. Emissions. I wanted this engine to run without having to be tuned in order for it to pass my county's emissions test. Yes, this engine is running extremely well without a tune and passed the emissions test without a hitch.

I know people like to dream, and I appreciate the fact that others on this site have thrown there opinion in the mix, but please understand that I built this engine exactly the way I planned to. I wanted to build an engine for $1200, and, after selling the 4.8, I ended up paying $800 for a well performing engine that I like to drive and gets very respectable gas mileage.
I understand all that. That's why I recommended an Ls6 cam. The computer would learn it with no problems and the drivability would be the same with more torque for towing. It would be emissions friendly and you can find them for cheap. Trust me I thoroughly understand doing things on a budget.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see you milled the 799's .020 what made you decide on that amount?
how much can be taken off before it starts screwing w/ the geometry of other things(headers, intake, etc)?
wish my build was staying in its predefined limit.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadblack93z
i see you milled the 799's .020 what made you decide on that amount?
how much can be taken off before it starts screwing w/ the geometry of other things(headers, intake, etc)?
wish my build was staying in its predefined limit.
After researching about pushrod lengths and lifter preload limits, I decided that .030 was about as much as I could mill off the heads and still use the stock length pushrods. So, taking into consideration that I needed to resurface the heads anyway, I decided on taking .020 off to err on the safe side.

As far as milled heads messing with intake and exhaust geometry, I believe the heads would have to be shaved atleast .050 to interfere with intake manifold placement. I wouldn't sweat the headers, unless an inch was taken off the heads! haha!

Quick Reply: Another 5.3 Build..