Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install: Required Items?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Cam Install: Required Items?

Hey guys, I know this may sound stupid but I'm trying to gain a better knowledge into going about an aftermarket cam install. My birthday is coming and I'm really looking to buy a VRX4 cam from Vengeance Racing. However, I have never done one of these on an LS1 car before, so I want to make sure I have all the components needed for the install. I have added to my list a high flow SLP oil pump and double roller timing chain, new Comp Hardened pushrods, titanium retainers, and an ARP crank bolt. Considering the car has a factory set of heads, do I need to replace any of the other elements inside them? What else am I missing that I need to buy to do this right? Any and all help is appreciated. All going in to a factory 2001 LS1 in my 01 WS6.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Comp Tru Union Upgrade
Replacement Lifters
LS2 Lifter Trays (Depending on lifter choice)
Timing Chain
Valve Springs

Might be forgetting a few things...

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 03-21-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Launching!

i would suggest up graded springs whats the lift on the cam? while your in their get a new front cover gasket and front main seal. if your looking to keep on the cheap side if the lifters are good wouldnt worry about that or the trays, i would recomend the trunion up grades from comp cam fairly cheap and you can do it yourself their is a video on how to do it on you tube, need to get a comp cam pushrod checker so when you install you can order the right pushrod legnth other than that make sure you have enough $$ to get a tune
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1howto.com cam/valvespring swap! Follow it step by step! Only thing I say do is to buy BT racing or PRC .650 lift spring kit, crane cams valve spring installation tool, and new water pump gaskets! Other than that it has everything you need. Take your time and good luck with the install!

EDIT: and to keep the lifters from falling down buy 5/16 wood dowel rods instead of the hundred dollar piece of metal that does the same job (read ls1howto before you get started!!!).
Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

-a QUALITY set of double springs w/ti retainers
-Pushrods ordered AFTER you measure for preload
-C5R Cloyes hex-a-just timing chain/gears
-Katech oil pump
-LS1 balancer installer
-Comp cam degree wheel kit
-ATI balancer
-Comp trunion upgrade (as a minimum)
-Comp 7702-1 pushrod length checker

This is just a partial list, but pretty close. Yes there are cheaper options, but you get what you pay for. Also, since a lifter upgrade is in order as well, you might consider having the heads ported to take better advantage of the cam. Then there's always the intake/tb/maf that could stand an upgrade as well. As you can see, one upgrade tends to lead to another recommended upgrade.

Just my $.02

Last edited by salemetro; 04-28-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can skip the ti retainers.go with a ls2 timing chain ,cheaper .if you do the lifters you can clean up the heads.you will need all the proper gaskets and seals for cam swap .go to ls1howto.com for pics and instructions.look at some pac 1518 springs.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by garygnu
you can skip the ti retainers.go with a ls2 timing chain ,cheaper .if you do the lifters you can clean up the heads.you will need all the proper gaskets and seals for cam swap .go to ls1howto.com for pics and instructions.look at some pac 1518 springs.
Yep lots of guys use the ls2 chain setup...but they are fairly sloppy(even on install). I used one for 3k miles, then decided to do a cam swap on one of my cars..the chain damper that I had installed was already substantially grooved. Needless to say, I tossed the LS2 setup. Even after flogging the car on the dyno, the C5R setup is still solid. I guess it all depends on the OP's budget. All I'm saying, is that if he's already going to have to go that far in to the engine...just spend the money and do it once.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salemetro
-a QUALITY set of double springs w/ti retainers
-Pushrods ordered AFTER you measure for preload
-C5R Cloyes hex-a-just timing chain/gears
-Katech oil pump
-LS1 balancer installer
-Comp cam degree wheel kit
-ATI balancer
-Comp trunion upgrade (as a minimum)
-Comp 7702-1 pushrod length checker

This is just a partial list, but pretty close. Yes there are cheaper options, but you get what you pay for. Also, since a lifter upgrade is in order as well, you might consider having the heads ported to take better advantage of the cam. Then there's always the intake/tb/maf that could stand an upgrade as well. As you can see, one upgrade tends to lead to another recommended upgrade.

Just my $.02
Thats a pretty good list above, you dont NEED an ATI balancer though but you will want to add a front cover gasket set to the list. If not removing the heads you will need a valvespring tool like the Crane tool or tims valvespring tool & compression tester to pressurize the cylinder so the valve dont fall while changing the springs.

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Comp Tru Union Upgrade
LS7 Lifters
LS2 Lifter Trays

Might be forgetting a few things...
You have to remove the heads to change the lifters & trays so if youre just changing the cam you wont need lifter stuff.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciate it, the specs of the cam are 228/230 .588/.592 if that helps any.

Here is the direct link for it:

https://www.vengeancerd.com/ecart/pr...7}.592-112-LSA
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by salemetro
Yep lots of guys use the ls2 chain setup...but they are fairly sloppy(even on install). I used one for 3k miles, then decided to do a cam swap on one of my cars..the chain damper that I had installed was already substantially grooved. Needless to say, I tossed the LS2 setup. Even after flogging the car on the dyno, the C5R setup is still solid. I guess it all depends on the OP's budget. All I'm saying, is that if he's already going to have to go that far in to the engine...just spend the money and do it once.
What is the "C5R setup"?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts are the easy part, the PIA!!!! is the Tools!!!!

I'm going through it now and the specialty tools is the shortfall and killing my F'ing budget!

You need a special tool to removed the crank pulley (Can get by with autzone rent)
A special tool for timing chain sprocket removal (Autozone does NOT work)
You need the tools to install the balancer and sprocket.
Degree wheel and parts to degree cam
Pushrod length tool
2 Torque wrenchs
ARP Bolt Holes Chasers, The cutting bolt thing does not work for ARP bolts or studs. I suspect the ARP fastensers are all so slightly larger is diameter. I used the bolt cleaning method, stock bolt would thread just fine, the ARP has resistance. I used the chasers and now perfect. Not to mention all the thread locker I pulled out too.

Technically need a tool to align front cover, but you can make do.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 04-30-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you do a search around here and the corvette forums you will find that very few actually degree the cam on these engines. another good idea would be to save your money on the SLP pump and just get a LS6 one. i would get one of the cam kits that come with cam, springs, pushrods gaskets, etc from TSP or thunder racing.
other good ideas are a new balancer like the powerbond.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Good info here, im about to do a Head and cam swap on mine
Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did a mayhem 2 can install last Week on my 01vette. To do it right, you should change the lifters. I used the ls7 lifters.Which means pulling the heads, get a valve job done, change the seals and the weak ls1 springs. I used the lunati gold valvetrain kit. I used the ls2 chain, it was " not" loose like everyone says. I used a new GM ported ls6 oil pump and NEW o-ring.ARP underdriven balance/ pulley and new bolt. Water pump gaskets.
Then you need the little stuff, head gaskekts about $100, timingcover gasket, cover seal. I got my cover on with no leaks, and I did not use the alignment tool. GM timing cover gasket. You will also need loctite, copper gasket spray for the head gaskets. Thats a race shop tip. You might need new seals for your intake manifold. Just go slow, chase, clean and clean the head bolt threads real good. I used ARP head bolts. And you need a large breaker bar, and pipe along with a 24mm socket for the crank bolt. My whole job took 4 days working about 6 hours a day. My steering rack, power steering pump, radiator all had to come out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzUfv...e_gdata_player

Last edited by slammedc5; 04-30-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
if you do a search around here and the corvette forums you will find that very few actually degree the cam on these engines. another good idea would be to save your money on the SLP pump and just get a LS6 one. i would get one of the cam kits that come with cam, springs, pushrods gaskets, etc from TSP or thunder racing.
other good ideas are a new balancer like the powerbond.

I agree, but think of the risk, if your tolerences are out of spec....You could buying a new engine.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the input and especially you slammedc5, car sounds saweeet, lol, anyways, doesnt the 01-02 LS1 have the LS6 oil pump and the LS6 intake from the factory?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Default My Cam Swap

Iam just starting my cam swap does anyone have a good pic or description of exactly how to swing the condenser out of the way to get the cam out of my 02 ws6..... pls pm me
Old 05-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mesterious
LS1howto.com cam/valvespring swap! Follow it step by step! Only thing I say do is to buy BT racing or PRC .650 lift spring kit, crane cams valve spring installation tool, and new water pump gaskets! Other than that it has everything you need. Take your time and good luck with the install!

EDIT: and to keep the lifters from falling down buy 5/16 wood dowel rods instead of the hundred dollar piece of metal that does the same job (read ls1howto before you get started!!!).
thanks, that's a very useful link.
great edit comment too... just make sure that no splinters get in there! lol
Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 97 FiReBiRd
Thanks for all the input and especially you slammedc5, car sounds saweeet, lol, anyways, doesnt the 01-02 LS1 have the LS6 oil pump and the LS6 intake from the factory?
Im not sure on the oil pump. But the intake yes. I changed my pump because it cAme in the cam kit. And its a high volume pump. Look into a kit, mine was $1500 and came with everything, pump, chain, gaskets, springs etc. i also just did and recommend the rocker trunion upgrade. Man that made my sewing machine sound almost go away.

Wow, since that idle vid, i gutted all 4 of my cats and have no mufflers.Lol
Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slammedc5
... You will also need loctite, copper gasket spray for the head gaskets. Thats a race shop tip....
Bumping an old thread;

I thought copper spray isn't typically used on LSx head gaskets as it was on traditional SBC gaskets?

Tipsy

Quick Reply: Cam Install: Required Items?