Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 solid roller stroker

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 383 solid roller stroker

Is anyone running a 383 solid roller stroker? If so, what is the setup and what kind of power are you making?
Old 03-27-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm finishing up the valvetrain on my 408 solid roller right now. I'd do a 400+ cubic inch iron block instead of a 383 anyday. Effectively the same price.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, but an iron block is not for me. I was hoping to have a 400+ motor (sig), but as time goes by, so does hope. So I need to start looking into something else.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I think I'd be talking to a lawyer by now, but that is neither here nor there.

A 383 solid roller will put out 346 solid roller hp with a lot more torque through the low and mid-range. 4" stroke is a damn good thing. Good , fun motor.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the lawyer thing covered and it's free lol. I've set a little deadline, and when it comes it will be war like you have never seen on here. 5 figures for a military guy is no joke man. Stay tuned . I want to stay with the alu block because I will be using my current block and building it all up myself like I should have done in the first place. I think it would be a killer setup but I don't recall anyone running a 383 sr.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should be a nice setup. If you want any valvetrain advice, shoot me an email. I'll give you everything we learned doing mine.

Just a bit of advice on the block. Your stock block is fine, just spend some of your budget on machining. These blocks take quite a bit of work to get up to what I (and a whole lot of builders) would consider decent tolerances. Just a bit of advice from the last several blocks I've seen.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Coll, I'll think of some questions for you. I will have to find a good machinist, which will be hard because I trust no one but myself now.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup. I understand that. It took me quite a while to find one I trusted.

I ended up finding a very good shop in Silver Lake, WI. They did a hell of a good job and were flat, blunt, honest, and up front. I drove from Kansas City to WI to get the shortblock and set in on the final assembly.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Seems like most engine builders tend to prefer more bore than stroke which is the only thing you might want to think about. with the 383 stroker you may not be able to rev as hight and your power would be a little lower than an all bore 383. But you should have more tq with the stroker especially of the line. You could always go Iron block and just lighten up your front end to offset the weight difference.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike K.
Seems like most engine builders tend to prefer more bore than stroke which is the only thing you might want to think about. with the 383 stroker you may not be able to rev as hight and your power would be a little lower than an all bore 383. But you should have more tq with the stroker especially of the line. You could always go Iron block and just lighten up your front end to offset the weight difference.
I'd say it depends on the purpose of the car. The reason strokers of any lineage are popular is because of the extra torque the increased stroke creates. Damn good for most street cars.

But, as you inferred, you won't gain upper end HP with a stroker. Unless you increase the bore, you can apply no additional force on the top of the piston since its surface area has not increased.

Additional stroke merely provides a larger mechanical advantage for the static amount of force already acting upon the piston.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

First off you are sucking in more air and fuel, so why do you think that there is no extra force applied to the piston. I have a 4.075 stroke that has reved to 7500 rpm a few times, so that point doesn't hold water either. It actually revs faster than the stock stroke ever did. The stroker motor will increase total power under the whole curve over a 346, not just torque. We are building a hydralic 383ci with direct port right now, but won't be done for another month. Too much money to do a solid roller plus a handful of other negatives that canceled it out as an option.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the 383ci Stroker would be a awesome setup. To get the motor to rev higher will depend on your cam and heads. I would mate a set of heads that flow high cfm and does not fall off until like .750 lift. I would pick a cam that has a higher than normal duration and lift and you will have no problem revving to the moon. The stroke will take care of the torque. Good Luck.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

The only reason I mentioned the reving issue is due to the stroke being bigger than the bore. When I was going to go this route both Futral and APE seemed to think that going with a bigger bore vs a stroker was the better way to go. I asked alot of these same questions and like Vince said if you pay special attention to balancing, get a bigger cam and have a good valvetrain you should be able to rev higher.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

My car is mainly a street machine, but it will be on the track. I think a setup like this would make killer power, low 10's n/a. And I would spray the hell out of it lol. What are the 346 sr's running? @ 500rwhp and mid 10's?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bravo there is no way in hell that u wont see some kind of motor from JPR. I know him better than most of the guys bashing him here anbd I know enough that you will get something!!! U MAY WANT TO HAVE THE MOTOR TORN DOWN AND CHECKED FOR SPECS JUST FOR A PIECE OF MIND. That would still be WAY less than calling this a total loss and starting over. I know that you are in the service(Thank YOU) but maybe a friend could pay JPR a visit and see the progress. DONT LET THIS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

What's up Bear? Yes, I still believe I will get it eventually. I can't believe anyone in the business would just steal that much money, no matter how many problems they have. And I knew it would take longer to get it than most other shops, you warned me last year. I figured a jpr motor was worth the wait. But my god, 7 months for one simple motor and I'm still in limbo. But there comes a point when a man just cannot continue driving a bolt on car anymore haha. I am going to hold out hope for a little longer, but it's time to start figuring out a plan B.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:59 AM
Restricted User

JAG, not much more to that one. I am not sure the SR Stroker would be as good an idea as it is on paper. As mentioned. TO take advantage of the SR principals, you will need a set of heads that flow, and dont stop! Those alone are going to be hard to find. Then the rest of it comes into play. But, with the right support from the community, and your determination you could do it, just not easy. Lead the Way!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CAT3
JAG, not much more to that one. I am not sure the SR Stroker would be as good an idea as it is on paper. As mentioned. TO take advantage of the SR principals, you will need a set of heads that flow, and dont stop! Those alone are going to be hard to find. Then the rest of it comes into play. But, with the right support from the community, and your determination you could do it, just not easy. Lead the Way!
I would bet MTI could set me up with the proper heads. Hopefully the AFR's will soon be out and we can see how they do.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Restricted User

Thats the spirit. Will be nice to see what these new 225's can really push. Good luck.

Charlie (96R)
Old 04-05-2004, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Keith Craft is setting me up with this exact same thing. The goal is at least 500rwhp on 91 octane gas.