Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best heads for 228r cam? prc Stg 2.5 ls6 vs prc 227cc heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

After seeing how well a ported set of LS6 heads competed against all of the high dollar aftermarket heads in a magazine shootout, I say you just can't beat a set of CNC ported LS6 heads for $1100 bucks ready to bolt on. And, they use the stock rockers which saves even more cash.

My raceweight is 3700+ lbs and even with a small (2800) converter and a baby cam my car runs mid to low 11s depending on the DA. I think that is pretty strong for an $1100 set of heads.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
After seeing how well a ported set of LS6 heads competed against all of the high dollar aftermarket heads in a magazine shootout, I say you just can't beat a set of CNC ported LS6 heads for $1100 bucks ready to bolt on. And, they use the stock rockers which saves even more cash.

My raceweight is 3700+ lbs and even with a small (2800) converter and a baby cam my car runs mid to low 11s depending on the DA. I think that is pretty strong for an $1100 set of heads.
The TFS aren't just all about flow.

There is a reason the valve angle is 13.5* versus the stock 15*. The rolled back valve angle allows a longer push rod to be utilized and thus allows better valve train geometry and stability. With stock heads and rockers you are limited to .620-.630" lift and even then I would not spec that much lift on a car that saw anything over 2-3k miles a year. When you start getting into the higher lifts of .600" plus the stock rocker geometry and valve angle just don't jive and they begin to eat at the valve tips.

Only by rolling the valve angle back and redesigning the rocker stands can you alleviate this issue and run higher lift camshafts. Again it also promotes better geometry and stability with the longer push rod, just like having a longer connecting rod has better thrust characteristics on the wrist pin in a rotating assembly.

Also in that magazine test you are referring too they used the same cam for every single one of those heads in that test. The huge difference in exhaust flow on the TFS heads versus even the best ported LS6 head is vastly different and IMO would need a much different camshaft to really show the gains they are worth over a stock casting.

Just my opinion, but it's really all fact.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Just my opinion, but it's really all fact.
LOL. Quote of the day.

Seriously though, all good points for a serious race motor. I still say for a budget build, you can't beat the bang for the buck and performance of CNC factory castings.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
LOL. Quote of the day.

Seriously though, all good points for a serious race motor. I still say for a budget build, you can't beat the bang for the buck and performance of CNC factory castings.
Glad I could make you laugh.

Until I got the job I have now I had my eyes set on a set of AI or TEA ported LS6 heads.

Now I'm not so sure what I'm going to use but the TFS are high on my list now.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Also though with the newer line of cam lobes out there designed for the LS motors most if not all of them are in the .600"+ range and to really be able to use them without wearing out valves you need a head that can utilize that lift and be reliable and durable with that amount of lift.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest Trick Flow 220 as cast. I have a similar cam as the 228r (less lift tho) and just the head swap I gained 55rwhp n 52lbtq. 350lb tq @2500 rpm too.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

I bought from Texas Speed, the reasons why they got 2,500 dollars of my money was because of their outstanding costumer support and patients with dealing with people new to the LSX world. I know many people must get sick of hearing Texas Speed this and that, but they didn't grow to the size they are now by selling inferior products. In my Miata community, www.FlyinMiata.com is a hugely respectable aftermarket performance shop because of the same reasons. Flyin' Miata's reputation of supplying products that fit good and work right without modifications is as almost assuring as that other law of science regarding gravity...

Last edited by Patrick G; 08-01-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: post clean up
Old 07-29-2012, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries Cody, that guy is simply bashing because he ordered the wrong fuel pump from our website tried to install it, and then proceeded to send it back with missing parts and a torn up box expecting a full refund, and blaming the mishap on us. Again all because he ordered the WRONG part off our website, but thought he would call and blame the situation on us and expect us to cover it. We are always willing to help, but there are certain policies we must follow, and that was a situation where we were happy to help but we got back a box and partial parts that we would never be comfortable reselling a customer so we simply couldnt accept them back.

Last edited by Sales1@Texas-speed; 07-29-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that the basging on tsp pisses me off. They provide good packages for pretty good prices and must sell quLity parts. Look at all the people that use texas speed stuff everyday that runs reliable and fast. Thy even go out of there way to dyno back to back cams and do research to help a buyer pick the cam for his goals. These are just some of the reasons why I will be going with tsp
Old 07-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Just look at their post counts...

Most of the time that says enough. Don't take anybody's advice, including my own if they have a meager 5 or 6 post.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aaron@Texas-Speed
No worries Cody, that guy is simply bashing because he ordered the wrong fuel pump from our website tried to install it, and then proceeded to send it back with missing parts and a torn up box expecting a full refund, and blaming the mishap on us. Again all because he ordered the WRONG part off our website, but thought he would call and blame the situation on us and expect us to cover it. We are always willing to help, but there are certain policies we must follow, and that was a situation where we were happy to help but we got back a box and partial parts that we would never be comfortable reselling a customer so we simply couldnt accept them back.
Don't sweat it Aaron you know it comes with the business!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem with TSP. There are always people that order the wrong thing and try to blame the company that it came from. It is called RESEARCH for a reason.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for TSP, great customer service and fast shipping. Don't listen to the trolls.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Correct, when I first called Texas speed months prior to buying my setup, Aaron was very helpful at taking the time to explain what all these camshaft specs really meant. He understood that drivability and good gains were both paramount and I let him make the decisions... 228R, 112 LSA.

Although his obvious job comes first as a saleman and having a good pitch, he didn't sway me towards the purchase of unnecessary things as some vendors have done in the past.

I went with the PRC stage LS6 loaded heads, milled for 11:5-1 compression, ls2 timing chain, ls2 lifter trays, ls7 lifters, mellings oil pump, GM multilayer steel head and exhaust manifold gaskets, and comp trunions.

7.350 pushrods were used with a preload of 0.80. The combo seems to do very well and there isn't a prob with valve train noises.

Dyno tune is this Friday at 1:30. Videos and papers will be posted. My 2002 corvette with full exhaust, header to muffler, and black wing intake got me 370 rwhp and 375 ft lbs of torque.

I'm hoping for 430-450...
Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cody Strife
Correct, when I first called Texas speed months prior to buying my setup, Aaron was very helpful at taking the time to explain what all these camshaft specs really meant. He understood that drivability and good gains were both paramount and I let him make the decisions... 228R, 112 LSA.

Although his obvious job comes first as a saleman and having a good pitch, he didn't sway me towards the purchase of unnecessary things as some vendors have done in the past.

I went with the PRC stage LS6 loaded heads, milled for 11:5-1 compression, ls2 timing chain, ls2 lifter trays, ls7 lifters, mellings oil pump, GM multilayer steel head and exhaust manifold gaskets, and comp trunions.

7.350 pushrods were used with a preload of 0.80. The combo seems to do very well and there isn't a prob with valve train noises.

Dyno tune is this Friday at 1:30. Videos and papers will be posted. My 2002 corvette with full exhaust, header to muffler, and black wing intake got me 370 rwhp and 375 ft lbs of torque.

I'm hoping for 430-450...
I'll be excited to see the gains with this setup! I will be doing this h/c hopefully within a few months
Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
I'll be excited to see the gains with this setup! I will be doing this h/c hopefully within a few months
Me too, its coming friday I wonder what I should raise the rev limiter too on a stock rod bolts?

6800 rpms?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cody Strife
Me too, its coming friday I wonder what I should raise the rev limiter too on a stock rod bolts?

6800 rpms?
Depends if your auto or m6? I'm auto and will have built tranny so I will probably shift it at 6600rpm max. If your m6 I wouldn't go past 6800.

Quick Reply: Best heads for 228r cam? prc Stg 2.5 ls6 vs prc 227cc heads?