low power with patriot heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dart451
Hi Jeff
That cobra is going to want a rematch!
Why don't you just go with some electric cutouts and still have the quiet exhaust you want. I would try taking off the cat back and doing a run and see if that is what is eating HP before spending money on a new one.
Later
Jim
Good advice!

I've never seen modern cats cost an engine more than 7-8HP..and thats on some high hp blown applications. On most head/cam cars, its more like 5hp.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Teching In

I agree, that was great advice. I will have to get a dyno with the cats/catback off and see where I stand.

However, what are some people's thoughts on my original pull at 18:1 a/f for 375rwhp and then droping to 12:9 a/f and being at only 360rwhp? I know that lean is good, power wise, but I was under the impression that 18:1 was SO lean that it would have had the motor craving for fuel to make more power....? Any thoughts? I appreciate all your time folks!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wire near the starter you guy's forgot to plug in is the crankshaft position sensor most likely...try a crank re-learn with a tech 2 and try the dyno with no exhaust hooked up as mentioned before..should help a good bit...btw what did the plugs look like after the 18:1 run?? Good luck...the numbers arent horrible..but could deffinatly improve with other mod's.

Carter
Old 03-31-2004, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks 10secondZ! So the crank has to be 're-learned' now? Is there any way without the tech 2 to acheive this? Is this something that could currently be robbing power? When that wire was unplugged the car was not charging and the alternator didn't work...we actually thought it was a bad alternator causing the problem. The 'tuned' runs were done after this problem was remedied (360rwhp), however we never did a crank re-learn.

The plugs were like new after teh 18:1, slightly tan...slightly. There were no speckles or anything. One plug (#7) was cracked on the outside porcelain and has since been replaced. It never seemed to misfire so I don't know if it caused anything or not.

I plan on a new dyno this weekend without catbacks...possibly without cats as well. I will surely post results...ESPECIALLY if i run into issues. The only other obvious mod that i know of that could be holding me back is a ported throttle body...do you agree?
Old 03-31-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you on the 375/18:1 thing. You made more power untuned. Something has to be up. Even if the tune gained you nothing but correct A/F ratio's, you should have still made 375 again. I'm thinking something is wrong mechanically or tuning wise.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the lil wire by the started happen to be the crank position sensor? Your stock catback is NOT holding back 30rwhp. Do you have a midpipe? They are worth a good bit on C5s. Also, check out CorvetteForums.com.. I have some pics of some C5 throttle bodies I have been doing. They look badass and are making some good #s on the dyno.

BTW, wheres the dyno in Peoria?? I have been to the airport several times there on my way to La Harpe for the Fred Gibb show etc etc..... SMALL TOWN
Old 03-31-2004, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cammin BeaSSt
Did the lil wire by the started happen to be the crank position sensor? Your stock catback is NOT holding back 30rwhp. Do you have a midpipe? They are worth a good bit on C5s. Also, check out CorvetteForums.com.. I have some pics of some C5 throttle bodies I have been doing. They look badass and are making some good #s on the dyno.

BTW, wheres the dyno in Peoria?? I have been to the airport several times there on my way to La Harpe for the Fred Gibb show etc etc..... SMALL TOWN
I'll be the first to say that Ron is a ********.. but he can port the hell out of a throttlebody... for a ******** I'm running one on my car and I'm VERY impressed with it. I think you'd gain a good bit from replacing the cats and midpipe on your car with a good offroad X pipe, that would be a very worthwhile mod.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 10secondZ
The wire near the starter you guy's forgot to plug in is the crankshaft position sensor most likely...try a crank re-learn with a tech 2 and try the dyno with no exhaust hooked up as mentioned before..should help a good bit...btw what did the plugs look like after the 18:1 run?? Good luck...the numbers arent horrible..but could deffinatly improve with other mod's.

Carter
EFILive can do the crank position sensor relearn also... don't know of any other way though.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like your a good 30-35rwhp down compared to other H/C setups. Good luck
Old 04-01-2004, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would there be any driveability issues if the crank position needed relearned? If we autotap it, would we see a ton of missing timing?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looking at an atap run, there is 6-9 degrees of knock retard at times....