Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need motor advice after tear down. Rebuild as 347 or 383?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are missing a great deal of his stated needs. It is a DAILY driver. He does not need a max lift/durations cam. He needs reliability. Daily drivers require moderation to remain reliable.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DenzSS
You guys are missing a great deal of his stated needs. It is a DAILY driver. He does not need a max lift/durations cam. He needs reliability. Daily drivers require moderation to remain reliable.
Exactly.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Steve how does the 242 cam drive in your 383 stroker? That sounds like a 7 liter super stroker cam.

MTI's Z1 looks temping 236/236 cam for a 383 would that be ~similar manners to a 224 to 226 in a 346?

With proper care life expectancy about the same for 346 & 383? With more piston travel I'm guessing the 383 wouldn't last quiet as long before the rings wore out.

BTW - If I go too a little far with the RS I can always use the T/A as a daily driver because it's very mild mannered.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DenzSS
Sorry, but incorrect. The BSFC is the inverse of the torque curve.

I also have a problem saying something has too much torque. There are a LOT of street cars that have hundreds of ft-lb of torque on a 383 LS1.

That is a matter of driving, suspension, and tires.
Worse gas mileage to me is driving my car exactly how I want to and getting worse gas mileage. I have no idea what BS mathematical acroynym you decided to prove your point with but all I can go by is experience. Got about 300 miles to the tank with a heads/cam 346, went to the 388 and got 240-250 miles to a tank. Same with a friends 383 stroker, it even got worse gas mileage than my big bore. Maybe theortically there's some way to get better gas mileage out of a bigger cube motor by calculating the rpms times inverse torque curve and dividing it by the flex capacitor but in the real world all I see is bigger cube motors getting consistently worse gas mileage. Also I have boxed LCA's, Random Tech Torque Arm, drag radials AND a 100lb sub box directly over my tires in the trunk and still managed to loose traction FROM a 30MPH ROLL in 2nd gear. To me, that just borders on too much torque for the street. I'm sure a tubbed car with slicks would have no problem hooking on the street but I seriously doubt this guy wants to do that with his daily driver
Old 03-30-2004, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

BSFC= Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. As stated, it is the inverse of the torque curve. A large engine that making a lot of torque running at low rpms is very fuel efficient. How do you think diesels produce such good mileage?

I've known several blown 422s and 427s that got over 26mpg on the highway. I've seen M6 strokers that pulled over 30mpg. A buddy of mine has an old school 427 BBC Vette that will pull over 26mpg with a carb on the highway.

Sure, if you have a bigger motor, you will use more fuel when you are getting on it. If fuel economy were so important to you, you wouldn't be romping on it and bitching about how much you get out of a tank of gas. No engine is fuel efficient at WOT.

These engines can produce very good mileage when driven with that intent.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, Denz is correct. I get an EASY 24 MPG on the highway, EASY!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

I agree. Driving in 6th at 75mph I used to get 27 mpg with my original 3:42 rear end. I'm not far behind that with the 3:73 12 bolt either!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Steve how does the 242 cam drive in your 383 stroker? That sounds like a 7 liter super stroker cam.

MTI's Z1 looks temping 236/236 cam for a 383 would that be ~similar manners to a 224 to 226 in a 346?

With proper care life expectancy about the same for 346 & 383? With more piston travel I'm guessing the 383 wouldn't last quiet as long before the rings wore out.

BTW - If I go too a little far with the RS I can always use the T/A as a daily driver because it's very mild mannered.
The new cam and heads will go on as soon as the car comes out of storage which should be in the next couple of weeks.
I agree that a 236/236 in a 383 will have similar manners to a 224/224 in a 346
The nice thing about building a 383 is that on the next rebuild you can go with a sleeved block and just swap pistons to land up with a 414 or even a 427
Old 03-30-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Linear Velocity
Also I have boxed LCA's, Random Tech Torque Arm, drag radials AND a 100lb sub box directly over my tires in the trunk and still managed to loose traction FROM a 30MPH ROLL in 2nd gear. To me, that just borders on too much torque for the street. I'm sure a tubbed car with slicks would have no problem hooking on the street but I seriously doubt this guy wants to do that with his daily driver
The RS will spend most of it's time on the street smacking down 5.0, 4.6 Mustangs, rice, TPI vettes & TPI fbodies as these are generally the cars that want to race the RS.

Your right on the mark about the RS won't be tubbed. I might put a set of ET Streets on at the strip and risk blowing the 10-bolt up.

Sounds like the 3.73's that were planned for the 347 build should really be 2.73's or 3.23's or maybe 3.42's for a stroker build. I have a set of 3.42's from the T/A I can always use.

Sounds more and more like I'd be able to hook the 347 easier and run stop light to stop light consistantly & easier than with the 383.

What would a 383 w/3200 stall 3.73's Auburn & no traction control be like to drive in the rain?
Old 03-30-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

Cannibal, what was your gas mileage like before the 427? Oh that's right you bought the car with that motor in it. I'm not saying bigger cube motors can't get good or decent gas mileage, no matter how big the motor is if you're crusing in a steep overdrive (like say .50) with 3.42 gears it's not going to matter very much. I'm saying compared to a stock or smaller displacement you will see worse gas mileage with a bigger cube motor during regular street/stop and go driving. And Denz I was never bitching about getting crappy gas mileage, I was explaining that I got almost 50 miles less per tank consistantly after the swap to a bigger motor. And who the hell would get a motor and never get on it like that on the street......hmm, no one. So put the calculator back into your pocket protector please. Back to the topic at hand, a stroker would be great at the track since torque is what gets you down the 1/4, I think you'd end up needing to upgrade too many things though and for a street car it wouldn't be justifiable to go with the 383.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm saying compared to a stock or smaller displacement you will see worse gas mileage with a bigger cube motor during regular street/stop and go driving.
I never disputed that. If you read my statement it says highway MPG.

I have no dispute with that statement quoted above.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also I have boxed LCA's, Random Tech Torque Arm, drag radials AND a 100lb sub box directly over my tires in the trunk and still managed to loose traction FROM a 30MPH ROLL in 2nd gear. To me, that just borders on too much torque for the street. I'm sure a tubbed car with slicks would have no problem hooking on the street but I seriously doubt this guy wants to do that with his daily driver
I can bust the tires loose at 80MPH on the highway so yes, I too agree, too much TQ for street duties, IMO. But at least we know the power is there.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you're missing the point. ANYTIME you increase the airflow of the engine, you will increase the fuel requirements. At any significant throttle (half or whatever) you will consume more fuel because it must add more fuel to keep the correct a/f ratio since more air is entering the engine.

This occurs with any mod that alters the amount of air coming into the engine, from a lid to heads and cam.

Do you see the point? Heads/cam or stroker, it is all the same. At WOT, you're going to use more fuel. Arguing against a stroker because of fuel consumption just doesn't make any sense. No offense, I just don't get it.

If you want fuel economy, a big stroker with a lot of torque turning at low rpms on the highway will burn less fuel than a 346.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding heads, cam, intake, and exaust also makes your motor run more efficently if done right, so it is possible to get "better" if not the same mileage. Only problem comes when you can't keep your foot out of it.