Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so crank sensor?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Starkey
change the gd crank sensor already! if it doesn't fix it, take it back to Autozone.

You're getting fuel.

Rockers are moving.

No spark.

Just replace the crankshaft position sensor and roll on.

I'm gonna **** a lot of people off here, but I think it needs to be said.

Some of these internet mechanics think way too much. Test this.. get a scanner.. no, obdII isn't good enough, your fuel injectors are leaking, blah blah blah.. People, if he's getting no spark, the only LOGICAL thing to do is replace the crankshaft sensor. They fail randomly.

My advice, from a man who's fixed all types of vehicles during his life with a set of craftsman tools and logical reasoning, change the crankshaft sensor, get a new set of plugs, and start the damn thing up and see how she sounds.
Bro, I hear you. I'm dying to change it out. I'm a pilot, I had to fly last week, it also rained like you would not believe and a couple days I was here I couldn't pop the hood outside and check electrical stuff, I had to do all kinds of family stuff for Memorial Day weekend. Then I had to fly yesterday all day to New York, Memphis and back home. Part is here now at Advance Auto.....I'm going to pick it up right now actually, leaving my house in 20 minutes.

I should be able to go over and do it today.........(edit: oh, and I woke up today with a cold and slight fever....lol)

I'll let you all know.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter2002
LS6427 has tirelessly provided info on topics he is very familiar with. He has repeated his cooling system upgrade/advice/maint advice many times, same with power steering coolers etc. Without being confrontational or snarky.
I hope he receives the same constructive courteous advice now that he needs it.
GL with this issue, I am learning quite a bit here from the advice, there is a lot of knowledge in this forum!
Then please dont take this comment as being confrontational or snarky, but I would struggle to take advice from someone who either cannot troubleshoot their car or will not take the advice of others who've been in a similar situation
Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ddnspider- fair enough. Keep in mind that I specifically mentioned his advice on the topics that he is knowledgeable about. I anticipated a response like this after seeing a similar sentiment, but I posted anyway.
I'll just say this; LS6427 asks for help, members see his sig, a few members think that he should know more about his specific problem because of his ride/experience etc. I was a little surprised by that, but I guess I'm ignorant and should know better too because of my low post count/lack of mods.
You are 100% correct by scrutinising advice on the Internet/forums etc. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

UPDATE 3....Video.........Internal Part is broken..........

Video is short......put the new Crank Sensor in. It fired like it always has when I just bump the key. BUT...it made an instant loud, CLACK, CLACK and stalled by itself. I did not try again.
I'm guessing broken rod.

There's a picture below of the old Crank Sensor....it has about a 1mm deep groove across it.

So, engine is coming out.......getting rebuilt. SUCKS, its just a bad time. I was about a week away from getting my new (used 2008) Merc E63 AMG.......now I'll have to wait maybe 6-8 months Oh well........pay to play. I got to play for 10+ years with this great engine that ARE built. Hope my 441ci lasts this long.........

VIDEO:

Attached Thumbnails **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video-pic1.sensor.jpg   **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video-pic2.sensor.jpg   **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video-pic3.sensor.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 05-31-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pewter2002
Ddnspider- fair enough. Keep in mind that I specifically mentioned his advice on the topics that he is knowledgeable about. I anticipated a response like this after seeing a similar sentiment, but I posted anyway.
I'll just say this; LS6427 asks for help, members see his sig, a few members think that he should know more about his specific problem because of his ride/experience etc. I was a little surprised by that, but I guess I'm ignorant and should know better too because of my low post count/lack of mods.
You are 100% correct by scrutinising advice on the Internet/forums etc. 'Nuff said.
Yea, I just never had an engine problem. I found that we car people become experts on issues that happen to us. Like when we get a certain medical problem, we learn about that problem in depth. So when i have an issue I learn everything, and then some, about that issue. My engine has been rock solid for 10+ years so I never poked around to learn anything about internals and advanced things.

BUT....spoke to my builder today. He said I can be there for every single step of the rebuild....from disassembly, to machining to assembly. He said he will basically teach me to build a 441ci stroker engine from start to finish. Now I'll learn everything thats happening inside these things.........then when I have a problem in the future......I'll know about all these things I've been asking in this thread.

Some things I've always been real interested in is degree'ing cams, installing crank/rod bearings, filing rings to fit, balancing rods and pistons and refurbishing a crank shaft.

It'll be cool to learn it all.........

Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Its a shame that it was a major mechanical failure.
I hope you learn lots during your 441ci build

Best of luck! Get that thing back out on the road
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear it's toast man, Best of luck with the 441 build.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LS6427, we want to see internal pics of damage please.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blasko
Its a shame that it was a major mechanical failure.
I hope you learn lots during your 441ci build

Best of luck! Get that thing back out on the road
Thanks......

Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by conan
Sorry to hear it's toast man, Best of luck with the 441 build.
Thanks......it'll be a beast. I have to set a power goal now.....610 RWHP through my A4.

We are taking the engine out Saturday.......it'll be getting tore down on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm a pilot....sometimes I have to fly out of town for days or sometimes a week long........so I sure hope I can be there every day......I'm off till next Friday. So I'll see the entire disassembly at least.

My builder has no less than 6 LSx builds going on right now...including a badass 468ci RHS road race engine, and a bunch of various stroker engines........he also hand ports heads and intakes and there's a huge line of those there waiting to get done.
He said he should be able to at least tear it down the day I bring it, or Tuesday.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joecar
Definitely......Lots of pics. I'll take them each step of the disassembly. I'm real curious to see what the normal wear of the engine has been. Since my way use of normal cheap 20w50 oil seems to be frowned upon by so many.

I sure hope I can re-use my Cola crank....I love owning one of those bad boys. If the block is damaged I'm buying this guys 1998 LS1 and giving it to RED for wet sleeving. Then I can do a 454ci 4.185 bore x 4.125 stroke.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joecar
This^
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for your loss. Good luck on the next one
Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Dang man. Sorry to hear that. I was hopeful it was something dumb. You have a sliver of hope left, perhaps the reluctor just came off the back of the crank. Just wishful thinking for you
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Dang man. Sorry to hear that. I was hopeful it was something dumb. You have a sliver of hope left, perhaps the reluctor just came off the back of the crank. Just wishful thinking for you
That would be nice.....but then it wouldn't have fired at all with the new sensor.....I'm thinking rod clanking around in there. Hoping......lol

Old 06-01-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang.

Well at least youn were able to figure it out.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That video sounded bad. I expect you'll find some carnage when you tear it down.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
That video sounded bad. I expect you'll find some carnage when you tear it down.
Yea.....I drained all the oil out yesterday too, and held a real strong magnet in the stream of oil draining out for about 10 seconds.......it picked up some metal pieces. Very very small pieces and allot of powderized metal shavings.....but I have never had actual pieces you can clean up and have sitting there. Every oil change I've had since I've had this engine (10+ years) I have powderized metal shaving on my oil drain plug magnet.....but when you touch them they literally disappear.......this is the first time there were tiny chunks.

The largest one was the size of the little letter "a" inside the "@" symbol on my keyboard key. Very small. The rest were literally the size of sand or bread crumbs.

I'm dying to see inside this thing.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Banned

Well.....pulled the engine today. Got the sumbitch all the way out in a few hours...........then noticed a crack in the block near the dipstick.

BULLSHIT........

I have a big swing in what I'm gonna do. Gonna have my builder just do a 6.0L aluminum truck block, .030 over bore, 370ci. Stock crank. Forged rods and pistons. 88mm turbo. The friend that helped me pull my engine today has this same set up in his Trans Am and makes 800 RWHP.....he did all the fabbing himself for the entire kit with A/C. He's gonna do mine.
I figure with him doing it all, I'll actually spend less or close to the same as doing a 441ci with a LS7 top end and new forged parts.....and make a ton more power.
Plus, if my Cola crank is un-damaged....I'll be able to sell it.

Oh well.......I'll still get some pics of the damage inside and get some info from my builder of what took it out or what failed. Didn't have to drop it off today....I'll get it there next week sometime or me and my friend will just tear it down.

Quick Reply: **UPDATE 3..have my answer**Blew engine..I think..turns over but won't fire...video