Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions regarding rotating assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions regarding rotating assembly

i was gonna get a rotating assembly from eagle. its the cheaper $700 kit. it says that it is balanced, does that mean when i take it in to get installed balancing wont be neccessary because i dont want to pay for something i dont need or try to get screwed and what not. also i bought a block and it has been tanked cleaned and already had new cam bearings installed, it was a block from a camaro that had over heated and blew a head gasket, has some white something going on up at the top of the cylinder, i think honing would get it out, i wanted to keep my stock bore so i can have stock motor but built with internals to handle upwards to 600 hp because i threw a whole bunch of bolt ons to a stock motor with 145k miles and i now have 4 holes in the oil pan and a locked motor oil was fine, oil pressure was fine, not over heating, not knocking, just random chaos..anyway, are these balanced rotating assemblies truely balanced or am i still gonna have to fork it over at the machine shop? thanks guys! and btw this is an lt1, but didnt think it would matter in this question, also im a budget builder so please dont say, get it bored anyway just because and buy a $2k 383 assembly just because, and go ahead and have them balance it anyway....just because, its like this. i got a block that may or may not need bored for $100..i can get an assembly for $700, a cam kit for $300, and of coarse a gasket kit and oil pan. im looking at making a strong motor for under $1500..it can be done, but it all depends on the answer to this question does a balanced assembly need any more balancing, and yes, to some this is a dumb *** question but for this newb its a good one. thanks fellas
Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always have the rotating assembly balanced and the rods weighed to make sure they are all within spec - never assume anything with a motor build. Eagle has been known lately to be out of spec - those cheaper Eagle setups are manufactured in China and machined in USA. Rule of thumb is measure twice, and then measure again just because. Cut a corner on something like this and you can end up in a world of problems down the road.

I am ordering a finished bore Gen III block but plan to do a .005 hone, magnaflux, checking all passages, and having any areas de-burred that may need it. Nothing is ever perfect - do not assume otherwise and you'll be good.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You're machinist will check the balance of the rot *** either for free or cheap ,,,,,,,,ask him if he minds You watching him check it .
Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

thanks guys.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like they said check it just to make sure it right. Do it once and do it right. Good luck man