Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Coolant temp sensor location - Picture?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro Coolant temp sensor location - Picture?

Hi guys, have some trouble with my coolant temp gauge, wont start at all.

Have tried to change the cluster fuse, but the problem is still there, could it be the Coolant temp sensor that has given up? What could it else be?

I have found on the net that there is to sensors:

"The one in the water pump is the temperature sensor , which is part of what tells the system to go from open to closed loop mode. The one in the head is the temperature sending unit , which works your dash gauge."

Wonder if someone could post a good picture where the temperature sending unit is sitting? Cant really find it, since by english is quite bad.

I have a Camaro SS 1998, there is a three pin connector on the temp sensor then?

Want a GM original part, (part number #?) where could I find one, that can be shipped to Sweden?

Greetings Jocke from Sweden

Last edited by Mrjockos; 06-17-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Teching In

I cant remember the GM part # but I purchased a Standard Motor Products TX111 for my 1998 Z28 3 wire sensor. Go to Rockauto or eBay for shipping to Sweden.
Sensor is located on driver side head, just above 1st sparkplug.

borrowed pic from fellow ls1tech member
Old 06-17-2012, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

Great! Nice picture Found AC Delcon on RockAuto, part number # 12551708 .

Hope this helps, what else could it be?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Teching In

Thats definately the Gm part#, I believe the 3rd wire on our years goes directly to the cluster, where the 2 wire style goes to PCM which then sends a wire to cluster for readings. A break in the wire, cracked sensor [which was my issue] or faulty gauge I think are the only variables.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Was in my garage now to check the location of my coolant temp sensor and that the plastic on the sensor had melted and came of the sensor or something?

Could this give bad contact? Or can you split the plastic from the sensor? Or should it be in one piece?The chance that this had been the problem seem to be quite big?

Here is some pictures i took with my phone ( sorry for bad quality)

What do you think? The three pin female contact seems to be fine and not damaged

Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Teching In

It appears that it got weak/melted from the sensor end and the actual harness is in good shape, mines snapped in a similar position and I could actually slide it back on but any driving, especially hard WOT runs, would vibrate the harness w/broke sensor loose and produce erratic idling. Maybe you can slide the harness over the prongs temporally (without the broken portion of sensor) and let it idle to see if gauge begins to function, but a new sensor is in your future my friend.

Quick Reply: Camaro Coolant temp sensor location - Picture?