Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head swap....any reason to clean carbon off pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default head swap....any reason to clean carbon off pistons?

Im half way through my cylinder head swap....is there any real reason to go through the trouble of actually cleaning the carbon build up off the top of the pistons? If there is, Im all for it, but Im not one to waste time cleaning something for no reason.

Additionally, any tips for getting that last little bit of crap off the block surface? I used a plastic ice scraper, and then a credit card, but theres still a very light amount of residue from the original gasket...

Thanks
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The piston tops can be cleaned by running them up to TDC and using some brake cleaner.

I would certainly concentrate on the block since having it clean is important for good seal. I use plastic scrappers and a lot of WD40 on the block.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the carbon that extra few thousandths will bump your compression up....jkjk

Seriously though, to clean mine I put each piston at TDC and used a razor blade to get everything off. Took about 1 min per piston. Why wouldn't tu is the question? Your that far just do it...
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

YES clean them. Carbon retains heat and can contribute to detonation.
As stated, razor blade scrape then use a scotchbrite pad (lightly)
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If youre measuring deck height It's more consistent to remove the carbon. I used 320 grit wet/dry sand paper and wd40, took forever,but it looks pretty.

Use Google to search the site for tony mamo's block prep procedure for one way to prep. It's a lot of damn work.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a simple head swap it isn't realy needed. You can do it just to be **** but it's going to carbon up again as soon as you start the motor.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

lol.....yes, clean it all off, its not supposed to be there....

Here's what mine looked like after I had terribly bad valve seals. I was detonating like UNBELIEVABLE at just part throttle easy accelerating on hot days.
Like "A.R. Shale Targa" mentioned, it gets hot and causes the air-fuel mixture to ignite before TDC. I razor bladed them, then used SeaFoam to soak in and wiped the rest off.......

After I cleaned it all off......no detonation at all, no matter how hot the engine got.

Clean it ALL off.......it will just keep building up.

Attached Thumbnails head swap....any reason to clean carbon off pistons?-headsprings-009.jpg   head swap....any reason to clean carbon off pistons?-headsprings-010.jpg   head swap....any reason to clean carbon off pistons?-headsprings-clean.jpg   head swap....any reason to clean carbon off pistons?-headsprings-clean2.jpg  

Last edited by LS6427; 06-18-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best, safest and quickest way to clean your deck, heads and pistons is with a die grinder with a rubber finger pad. I've been using this method for years and never had a single issue with it. You can get them anywhere. Only a moron can remove actual block material and it makes unbelievably quick work of the job. Use some light grit sandpaper for any areas you can't get to with the pad.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with a tune your car will be running a little leaner then the factory tune,so it won't carbon up too much.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ok thanks guys.....razor blade and brake cleaner....hoping to get the heads on this afternoon so I can order the new pushrods and get this thing back on the road

Quick Reply: head swap....any reason to clean carbon off pistons?